Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Is it not a commercial sub? No seriously?:clap:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Thanks a LOT:R, i`m humble and proud

This is the sub in my HT, this room is going to be totally re-build, and the work is starting after the release of James Bond QOS 25.03

sub6 003.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
The sub is covered with a black carped manufactured for car speakers. To get a ferm surface i`ll cover it with a hose made of grill cloth, waiting for my wife to sew it:paddle:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those look amazing, you guys have taken the sono to new heights. Im wondering if you have any ability to compare your damping material with standard fiberglass lining? I am going to try to imploy some 4" bass traps in the room to stiffen up the bass from my sono. Very curious about your damping results.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Those look amazing, you guys have taken the sono to new heights. Im wondering if you have any ability to compare your damping material with standard fiberglass lining? I am going to try to imploy some 4" bass traps in the room to stiffen up the bass from my sono. Very curious about your damping results.
Thanks Nick77, sorry but i did not compare the dampingmaterial i used with standard fiberglass. When my new HT is finished i am going to build broadband 4" basstraps in all corners.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It has taken me a while to get familiar with the depth and width of this forum. I am so glad I found it. This is an amazing build. It fills my head with ideas and questions I never had before.

Thank you lglura for documenting this epic build. You did an amazing job! I appreciate your willingness to share and time involved in doing so. :D

I am very new to this HT thing, so I hope you don't mind some seemingly silly questions from a newb. :)

How did you make the top cap? I may have access to a CNC soon although it is located several states away. This would come in handy with making the feet too. ;)

Are you using any EQ?

Man, I feel like I am 10yrs younger today. :D A kid in a candy store. I can't wait to get a job!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
It has taken me a while to get familiar with the depth and width of this forum. I am so glad I found it. This is an amazing build. It fills my head with ideas and questions I never had before.

Thank you lglura for documenting this epic build. You did an amazing job! I appreciate your willingness to share and time involved in doing so. :D

I am very new to this HT thing, so I hope you don't mind some seemingly silly questions from a newb. :)

How did you make the top cap? I may have access to a CNC soon although it is located several states away. This would come in handy with making the feet too. ;)

Are you using any EQ?

Man, I feel like I am 10yrs younger today. :D A kid in a candy store. I can't wait to get a job!
Thanks a lot Filtor 1 and welcome to the Shack:wave:
I did use a router to cut out the top and bottomcap and if you have access to a CNC it would be easy to make them.
I`m not using any eq yet, next week ì`m beginning to re-build my ht and that will take several month, hope i`m finnished by august. When this room is finnished i`ll do the acoustic treatment and then i`ll supply the eq.
Yeah man, the Shack is a big candystore thanks to all the members.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That sub is absolutely gorgeous! The craftsmanships is stunning. I wish I had half of your skills! That is truly the best "DIY" sub I have EVER seen!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
That sub is absolutely gorgeous! The craftsmanships is stunning. I wish I had half of your skills! That is truly the best "DIY" sub I have EVER seen!
Thanks a lot :R:hail:, but I have not so great skills, only have many ideas and focuses on details.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Your attention to detail is awesome. The gloss black with the gold emblem and aluminum feet look sleek. That is truly an amazing build. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Iglura,

I was just admiring your Sonotube Subwoofer and had a few questions.

1. How did you attach your caps to the sonotube? Glue?
2. Where did you get the carpet for the outside of the tube?
3. I have a metal lathe and can turn legs with a straight taper but I like the curve in yours. Did you do that with a CNC lathe?
4 Did you glue the port support baffle to both the port tube and the inside of the Sonotube?

Great looking sub by the way. Best looking tube sub I've seen on this site.

John

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Hi John. Thanks a lot. Has been a while since my last visit here, i`m trying to build some new speakers and all my time goes to testin, testing, testing, test....zzzzzz!
1. The caps is glued with two types of glue, the top with expanding and the bottom with epoxy.
2. The carpet i used, I bought at the store that sells accessories for cars
3. I have a cnc and the curve is calculated in a program
4. All parts of the sub is glued, it is not used screws or nails.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
This is the complete port-tube with top plates and damping.

lglura

I’m planning to build a Sonotube sub similar to yours, only smaller. The parameters for my build can be found at the end of this post. I'm trying to determine if I need to install the damping material in my build. Some say that the size of your sub makes the damping material necessary but it shouldn’t be a requirement for mine since it's smaller. Why did you install the damping material in your design? How much volume, if any, did you allow for the damping material?
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #119

lglura

I’m planning to build a Sonotube sub similar to yours, only smaller. The parameters for my build can be found at the end of this post. I'm trying to determine if I need to install the damping material in my build. Some say that the size of your sub makes the damping material necessary but it shouldn’t be a requirement for mine since it's smaller. Why did you install the damping material in your design? How much volume, if any, did you allow for the damping material?
Thanks,
John
Hi John.
I'm not sure if it helps, but I inserted 10 cm with damping material, the volum of this is 19 liter.
I followed the recommendations and put it into the cabinet The subs is awesome with a tight and accurate bass.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hi John.
I'm not sure if it helps, but I inserted 10 cm with damping material, the volum of this is 19 liter.
I followed the recommendations and put it into the cabinet The subs is awesome with a tight and accurate bass.
Thanks lglura,

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to eliminate some confusion on my part.

In post # 42 your state:

"the damping material is 30 mm high density mineral-wool manufactured for sound-damping (rock-wool)"

but in post #119 above, you say:

"but I inserted 10 cm with damping material, the volum of this is 19 liter"

I'm going to guess that your covered the inside wall of the enclosure with with 10cm damping material and covered the top with 30mm high density mineral-wool.

Also, how did you attach the damping material? Is 3M 77 spray adhesive good enough?

Again, sorry for all the questions but I'd like to get it right the first time. If everything is glued together there won't be an opportunity to add it later.

Thanks again,

John

101 - 120 of 123 Posts