Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some technics SL101's for my HT (2-way) 6" woofer & 2 1/2" tweeter, there is no acoustic damping in them, would some help? will it tighten up the bass or give it more bass? Also from what I've been learning is 3/4" material is best for speakers, these are just made of some 1/2" stuff, would it be a good upgrade to make some new boxes for them?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have some technics SL101's for my HT (2-way) 6" woofer & 2 1/2" tweeter, there is no acoustic damping in them, would some help? will it tighten up the bass or give it more bass? Also from what I've been learning is 3/4" material is best for speakers, these are just made of some 1/2" stuff, would it be a good upgrade to make some new boxes for them?
If you wanted to cram in stuff in some poly fiber fill, it might be worth the experiment It's cheap and easy, but I wouldn't expect too much.

As to building new cabinets...I'd probably start over from scratch with fresh drivers with known TS parameters, perhaps a pre-engineered kit. It would be a surprise if the old Technics drivers had any virtues worth building new cabinets for. For example, 60W is light for even entry-level AVRs these days.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Get some silicone and seal all of the inside of the cabinets, where they
have been glued. Then line some batten to the sides, back and top of the
cabinets. It will make a difference - it will be small - however, that may
be enough of a difference maker for you.

I use to own Technics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts