Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there I trying to design a box to go in the back of a 96 ford ranger extended cab. I'm wanting it to sit on the little 6" curb to utilize the floor space for cargo and passengers legs. I also want to be able to use the rear fold down jumper seats which leaves me with about 16" in between them in the center. The highest I want to go is 21" which is at the lower edge of the rear slider window. The sub I'm using is the JBL GTO804. I want it to have the .6 cf (it's what's recommended). With a slot port tuned to 33 hz. I want the speaker front firing and the slot on top pointing up. I have come up with some box dimensions but I want to be sure I'm on the right track. Anyone have any suggestions or criticism??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link I haven't found it yet on the mobile app version. Ya I've been using the calculators. I've been hoping someone here has some experience with these subs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also having trouble with slot port tuning. Trying to figure out slot size with min area of 10 square inches but tuned down to 33hz just doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Like the length has to be awfully long

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But if I go smaller than 10square inches of area then I will encounter port noise correct

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way mike. How did you figure that so fast. I have been working on this for a while now. Maybe you can help me design a box hint hint

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to start with an old punch 150 because that's what I have right now. But I can upgrade later

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No subsonic filter on this amp. Old punch 150a2
I think I see what you saying though. So in other words to avoid port noise I need to stay around the target number 10sf. But to tune it that low I would then have to add about .28 cf to get back to .6 cf

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess that would be easier. A lot shorter in length. You think that .1cf smaller in size would be very noticeable? I could expand my box in width somewhat

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the recommended size for ported is .6cf but also tuned at 40hz. I figured I could go lower if I wanted to

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's the thinnest mdf that you would use. I'm not sure if I should go any thinner than 3/4"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts