Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for recommendations for some full range front speakers. I have several in mind, just curious to see what you guys come up with. Probably about 50% music & 50% Movies. Addition of a sub is not out of the question.

I listen to a very wide variety of music: I need a speaker that can render a double bass (stand-up) with depth and clarity, along with all the warmth and vibrance of Miles' trumpet. I want to hear the raw power in voices like Aretha Franklin, and the grittyness of John Lee Hooker. Something that can convey the enveloping atmosphere of bands like Portisehead, and Massive Attack, and the shear assault of the senses of bands like FuManchu and BlackSabbath. In more general terms I want crisp accurate detail in the upper range, smooth full mids, and DEEP, extended, tight bass.

Thanks for your help:nerd:

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Re: $1500-$2000 Fronts

In that price range, I would check out the Vandersteen 3A Signature. You'll have to go used. I picked up a pair on AudiogoN a little more than a year ago, and have been very happy. Some people call them "laid back," and they may not be "in your face" at all times, but they can definitely ROCK. I've put a variety of music through them, from classical to metal, and they never disappoint. Bottom end is stated as 30Hz, and I would suspect I can get close in my room.

Anyway, my $0.02.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

"DEEP and extended" bass (by my definitions) is extremely rare in full range speakers under $2,000. Maybe something like the Def Tech models with powered subs in them might get you close to the bass you want, but I'm not sure what they run new.

If you could somehow work out a Martin Logan setup, I would not even think twice about it... Martin Logan Ascent i's... $1975

... but then you need a center and a sub. With the exception of the deep extended bass, you described these speakers very well and I can tell you I've not heard anything better in my lifetime. And I don't just say that because I now own them, I really mean it. My ML setup really does it all and someone needs to knock me clean between the eyes if I ever get rid of my ML speaker setup, other than to replace it with the same after it wears out.

Here's the Def Tech BP7002's for $1299...

Of course those are used.

In the new line you could look into the Paradigm line and probably pick up a very capable front stage for under $2000.

I was impressed with the Cambridge SoundWorks speakers...

You could get a very nice setup with them for your front stage and have money left over for a nice sub as well.

Another option is the Axiom line... we just picked them up as an affiliate. They are very well respected.

There are sooooo many really good options.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Vandersteen 2Ce Signature IIs are $2000/pair new and sound as good as loudspeakers costing twice or thrice the price. Frequency response is 29Hz to 29kHz +/- 3dB, definitely full range for music and pretty good for HT. They have been seen taken on AudiogoN for $1000.

I'd second the Vandersteen 3A Signatures (26Hz to 30kHz +/- 3dB) for $3550 new or as little as $1700 on AudiogoN.

Vandersteens are simply the best sounding loudspeaker for the money in my opinion, period. You owe it to yourself to audition them.

Affordable Home Theater in Riverside, Hi-Q Audio/Video Systems in Thousand Oaks, Brook Berdan in Monrovia, Gluskin's Audio Video in Stockton, Monarch Coast in San Clemente, and Stereo Unlimited in San Diego.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

"DEEP and extended" bass (by my definitions) is extremely rare in full range speakers under $2,000... ...There are sooooo many really good options.
I realize that, which is why I said that the addition of a sub would not be out of the question. I actually plan on adding a center, sub and surrounds to the fronts in the up coming months, but I really want something outstanding for 2 channel listening. Music is first and foremost for the main speakers for me.

thank you for your suggestions, so far. While the electro statics would be great, they are just too big, my wife would kill me if I replace the old towers with anything bigger.

please keep 'em comin'

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Vandersteen 2Ce Signature IIs are $2000/pair new and sound as good as loudspeakers costing twice or thrice the price. Frequency response is 29Hz to 29kHz +/- 3dB, definitely full range for music and pretty good for HT. They have been seen taken on AudiogoN for $1000.

I'd second the Vandersteen 3A Signatures (26Hz to 30kHz +/- 3dB) for $3550 new or as little as $1700 on AudiogoN.

Vandersteens are simply the best sounding loudspeaker for the money in my opinion, period. You owe it to yourself to audition them.

Affordable Home Theater in Riverside, Hi-Q Audio/Video Systems in Thousand Oaks, Brook Berdan in Monrovia, Gluskin's Audio Video in Stockton, Monarch Coast in San Clemente, and Stereo Unlimited in San Diego.
Thanks, I will head out to Thousand Oaks later this week to give the Vandersteens a listen. And see what else they have there...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So far:
Axioms are on my not-so-short list,
along with Paradigm Studio series,
B&W 683's & CM7's,
Def-Tech mythos,
Totem,
Onix rpcket RS850,
Revel F-12,
Monitor Audio Silver RS-6/8,
and the SVS MTS-01...

Now vandersteen joins that group.
Any arguments for or against, and/or further additions to that list are welcome.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

I might throw Klipsch in there as well. I know people swear by them. It seems like most either lov'em or hat'em. :dontknow: At least worth an audition if you can work it out.

·
Registered
200 Posts

So far:
Axioms are on my not-so-short list,
along with Paradigm Studio series,
B&W 683's & CM7's,
Def-Tech mythos,
Totem,
Onix rpcket RS850,
Revel F-12,
Monitor Audio Silver RS-6/8,
and the SVS MTS-01...
That's a decent sized list and it seems to cover all flavors. I think you should be able to find something among those to your liking.

D

·
0 Posts

You need to audition as many speakers as you can. Speaker preferences are very subjective and you need to find ones you like the for the budget you can afford. Just be prepared to spend more $$$ than you plan as you will find a set of speakers you cannot live without for the extra $$$ you did not want to spend. It never fails.... :)

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts

I should have also listened to the Triangle and Focal offerings, but the trip was precluded by weather. I've been happy with my Vandersteens, but if I were shopping now, I would definitely add those to the list.

·
Registered
969 Posts

You might be able to get a pair of Klipsch RF83's if you can talk a dealer down. If not then the RF63's are nice also. They both go pretty low for a floor stander without an active sub built in.

Von Schweikert VR-2's are nice also. They might be a little more than $2K unless you get a good deal or buy used.

Truly though you will get more bass oomph if you use a subwoofer. For movies good bookshelves paired with a sub are best IMHO.

·
Registered
228 Posts

You've received excellent advice regarding the Vandersteens. I have to agree (I owned a beloved pair of 2ci's) that there is no other speaker that will give you as much good to excellent sound for the money that I have heard. They are simply THAT good! Best all around bang for the buck in speakerdom...my 2 cents worth.
Cheers,
Konky.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

There is a couple of Martin Logan Montage at Magnolia (Best Buy) in Montclair for $399.00 ea ... It think they were the floor model :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

okay, so tomorrow I go to check out the Paradigms, B&W's, DefTech's and Monitor's. That is if Ahead Stereo has all the the models I am interested in. I know they are dealers of all 4 brands, and maybe they will have something else on the list. This will be the second listen on the Paradigm studio 60's, 1st on the 100's if they have them; B&W 683's second listen, CM7's will be the first. I have heard the Mythos ST at Best Buy with all the rest of the noise around so couldn't get a real feel for them, so they get a second shot. Hopefully there won't be any screaming kids in a higher end stereo shop...

I can say that after first listen between the Paradigm studio 60's and the B&W 683's it was pretty much a draw. The Studio 60's seemed to favor the mids a bit more (better vocals and more of a full sound), and the 683's had slightly more punch in the bass and seemed to reach a touch higher (more separation in the sound). Between the two my preference would go to the Paradigm Studio 60's, but only by a very thin margin... So, they both deserve a second listen, with different music.

The Vandersteens will have to wait until round three

·
Registered
228 Posts

Do yourself a favor and no matter what you hear...don't forget round 3 and listen to the Vandersteens. You'll be doing yourself (not to mention your ears) a great favor! :T
Cheers,
Konky.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

I agree with the above posters, your list looks good I really like the sound of the B&W 683's I dont own a pair but have listened to them. The Monitor Audio Silver RS-6/8 are nice also bit lack some of the low end that your looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts

i know you've got a lot of speakers on your list but i'll chime in anyway w/ 1/3of a cent for the klipsh rf-63's maybe for someone else trying to formulate an oppinion.good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

<Enter the heretic>

If you're willing to go with a sub, I'd think about going with a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's and the biggest baddest sub from SVS your budget can afford. I think a bookshelf speaker is easier to setup and get "right" than a typical floorstander. The other thing is that bookshelf speakers can go pretty low. For example, the 20's can go down to 54hz vs the 46hz the Studio 60's you're looking at... which wouldn't matter all that much if you get a quality sub like SVS thrown in to handle the <80hz duties.

Just my opinion..

JCD

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Music is first and foremost for the main speakers for me.
Vandersteens. Down the road just adding a center and surrounds you may find the bass sufficient even for your movies (set fronts to large) without a sub.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts