Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Speaker toe-in

4242 Views 34 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  JBrax
I'm curious as to how everyone else views speaker toe-in. With the recent upgrade of my front L/R speakers I've been experimenting with toe-in. I normally toe them in so that the horns are pointed at the MLP. I've been researching this and it seems speaker and room dependent and consensus is adjust until they pass the ear test. Particularly interested how other Klipsch Reference owners aim the horns.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Hey! As you know, I'm not a klipsch owner, but there used to be a good rule of thumb. When seated in the LP, you should just barely be able to see the inside panel of the speaker. Also, the way I did mine was with a piece of cardboard leaned on a chair, 2 or 3' (can't remember now) behind the LP and a laser level on my mains, I toed them to hit the same spot(center) on the cardboard. Incidentally both methods in my case work out to about the same angle. It may depend some on how far apart they are, and as always, season to taste. Those two methods are just good starting points. I think its kinda like I say, ask 10 guys how to build a house, you'll get 10 answers. Interested to see how many you get.
Thanks for the reply Willis! I'm sure opinions will vary and the overall consensus will be adjust until it sounds good to you. Let's see what Charlie, Brandon, and Tom say as I know they are Reference "horn" owners. :)
Oh and non Reference owners are invited to weigh in as well…:)
I've got to question how much toe in a lot of people use. It's very dependant of the type of tweeter. Even horn tweeters have very different designs. My EVs use a horn type design and it is recommended to use no toe in at all with them.
Lol, I'm waiting for them to chime in too. My old cerwin Vegas had horns, and a pretty wide pattern, but nothing like those 7's. You might be able to go wider without collapsing the center image? Curious to hear from the guys.
I've got to question how much toe in a lot of people use. It's very dependant of the type of tweeter. Even horn tweeters have very different designs. My EVs use a horn type design and it is recommended to use no toe in at all with them.
Good point Tony and the no toe-in thought has led me to start the thread. This weekend I'm going to try that and see if I hear a difference.
I don't have much toe-in at all, as I find it works better for the other listening positions. I have what I'd call a 1 inch toe-in. As in, if you were to measure the distance of my speakers from the wall you'd find the outside rear corner 1 inch further away from the wall than the inside rear corner.
No horns, silk dome Vifa D27.
Yup, the imagining with mine straight on is really good so I simply don't see the need to toe them in. I wonder if the reason they image so well is that they use a 2" super tweeter that can handle 25watts rather than the norm 10watts or less.
Mine are pointed pretty much right at me. Never really played around with them to much as it sounds good and there heavy to move by yourself at least safely,i need my back, but have been thinking of having the guy from a little shop by me come over and go threw the audio part of our system I have a calibrated display after all why not the rest of the system as our AVR allows for it and I would like to see if it makes any difference.
I don't have much toe-in at all, as I find it works better for the other listening positions. I have what I'd call a 1 inch toe-in. As in, if you were to measure the distance of my speakers from the wall you'd find the outside rear corner 1 inch further away from the wall than the inside rear corner. No horns, silk dome Vifa D27.
99% of the time I only have 2 listening positions to worry about. I just need to focus on optimizing for the wife and I and think I'll try straight on. Maybe start there and move them in small increments? I wish I had one of those golden eared audiophiles nearby!
Mine are pointed pretty much right at me. Never really played around with them to much as it sounds good and there heavy to move by yourself at least safely,i need my back, but have been thinking of having the guy from a little shop by me come over and go threw the audio part of our system I have a calibrated display after all why not the rest of the system as our AVR allows for it and I would like to see if it makes any difference.
Mine are sitting on hardwood floors so slight movements are no big deal. At almost 90 pounds per speaker I wouldn't want to deal with moving them on carpet especially if the spikes were installed. When you say have your audio calibrated what exactly do you mean? Does your AVR not have built in room correction?
Mine are sitting on hardwood floors so slight movements are no big deal. At almost 90 pounds per speaker I wouldn't want to deal with moving them on carpet especially if the spikes were installed. When you say have your audio calibrated what exactly do you mean? Does your AVR not have built in room correction?
Yeah we're on carpet and spikes here! Built in room correction on our unit is multeqxt,I just "think" he maybe able to do better as he has the equipment to work our AVR as it's designed for custom installers I once again "think" they can do more with his equipment I could be wrong(never happens:gulp:) and he's a nice guy and won't about it which is nice.
I would expect the toe in to be pointing at the outside edge of the PLP chair's headrest. Should be the best starting place. Optimizing for your wife's LP will change that however. How far apart are both chairs?
I would expect the toe in to be pointing at the outside edge of the PLP chair's headrest. Should be the best starting place. Optimizing for your wife's LP will change that however. How far apart are both chairs?
Maybe 3' here's a pic…

Couch Furniture Black Floor Room
See less See more
Here's another pic of the room with additional and less important seating positions.

Room Living room Furniture Property Interior design
See less See more
One last view of my seated position and current speaker placement/toe-in.

Room Floor Property Furniture Hardwood
See less See more
I think I would still treat it as one chair with the outside corner of each headrest.
I am like Nova. I found that just a small amount of toe in works well to give me a wider soundstage. I have large speakers also. Cerwin Vega XLS-215's.
My RF82ii's are about 9 feet apart and 10.2 feet from the MLP. I have a slight toe in and found it to be the best sound. I sit on the right, and the wife is on the left, each speaker is aimed at the inner arm rest basically so they cross behind us, not toed in so far as to aim at the MLP between us.

My goal was the best triangle I could do, but then I found they needed a little toe in. I will be setting up RF7ii's this weekend and will be curious if they require the same.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.