Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Speaker Wire Gauge Recommendation

4737 Views 19 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  rab-byte
Hello everyone!

I bought a Polk Audio RM6750 and a ONKYO TX-NR525. The room were everything is going to be placed is less than 25 feet length by width (not going to be a in-wall installation. What speaker wire gauge should I used for this setup?

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Hello everyone!

I bought a Polk Audio RM6750 and a ONKYO TX-NR525. The room were everything is going to be placed is less than 25 feet length by width. What speaker wire gauge should I used for this setup?

Thanks!
Standard 14awg cable from monoprice.com is more than enough
Wow, what a fast response, thank you.

One last question, isn't supposed that less space in room bigger gauge necessary for performance? I'm not trying to make a contradiction, it's my first time with this project in my house and I just want to learn :)
Wow, what a fast response, thank you.

One last question, isn't supposed that less space in room bigger gauge necessary for performance? I'm not trying to make a contradiction, it's my first time with this project in my house and I just want to learn :)
it's about length of the wire run. the longer the run, usually the thicker the gauge (lower the number)... but 25 feet.... 14 is more than enough
it's about length of the wire run. the longer the run, usually the thicker the gauge (lower the number)... but 25 feet.... 14 is more than enough
Thank you very much I will buy them now in monoprice :)
Thank you very much I will buy them now in monoprice :)
if you really want to go overkill you can get 12 awg from them. it's only a few bucks more and if it eases the mind, it eases the mind.
When you mention "overkill" you mean to perform better?
No. He means to select bigger cable than you need. Therefore "overkilling" what it is your trying to kill. ...using a torch when you need a match.
Fwiw I use 12ga. Yes I sleep better. Lol!
Exactly. The 14 awg is technically more than you need but if you're worried about it or crazy ocd than 12 awg is even more than you'd ever need. I use 12 awg only because it was $2 more than than the 14 awg for a hundred foot roll at the time
One of the main benefits of thicker cable is less resistance, and therefore, less stress on the amp. But I believe the benefits are very marginal.
Going from14 to 12awg wire is going to yield no audible difference however there is nothing wrong with getting 12awg as it is simply going to give you piece of mind. The other issue is that many speaker wire manufacturers say its 14awg when in reality its actually only 16awg.
Going from14 to 12awg wire is going to yield no audible difference however there is nothing wrong with getting 12awg as it is simply going to give you piece of mind. The other issue is that many speaker wire manufacturers say its 14awg when in reality its actually only 16awg.
Even 16 awg is fine with 25 foot runs though
while we are on the subject, what about running speaker wire to a subwoofer from a pro amp. 1000 watts and 25 feet. Does the wattage matter? What gauge is to be used here?

A receiver will only put out 100 watts a channel.
14awg is still fine even for 1000watts. Think of it as an extension cord with a 1000watt heater on the other end. As long as the wire is not getting warm your not loosing power to resistance causing heat in the wire.
I recommend an entry cable from Morrow.

SP1

http://www.morrowaudio.com/sp1.htm
Break in service? Seriously....

Ya, I find it funny too.

I'd rather leave my system on and break in the cables myself.
Goes to show you the merits of a company that can con someone into believing that a speaker wire needs to be broken in LOL
Goes to show you the merits of a company that can con someone into believing that a speaker wire needs to be broken in LOL
They don't "need" to be broken in... but they DO become broken in after time.

It more or less effects people with audiophile type grade equipment (Krell, vandersteen, audio research, classe', etc).
They don't "need" to be broken in... but they DO become broken in after time. It more or less effects people with audiophile type grade equipment (Krell, vandersteen, audio research, classe', etc).
If you're going down that path why not AQ with their bias battery packs?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.