Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all the good folks in HTS,

I am new hear so please excuse my ignorance :eek:lddude:. I have converted my double garage into a gym and would like to get speakers along with a sub woofer. I mainly listen to hip hop. I am definitely an sq guy, so i prefer quality over quantity. I love detail and most importantly low notes. 40Hz downwards. I live in Toronto, Canada so I need to be able to get something from over here. Could someone please recommend me something that will be decent enough but not cost thousands.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
You're a "sq guy", yet you listen to hip hop? Aren't those contradictory? :D

We'll need to know your room size (HWD) and budget first, otherwise the suggestions will not be all that relevant.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're a "sq guy", yet you listen to hip hop? Aren't those contradictory? :D

We'll need to know your room size (HWD) and budget first, otherwise the suggestions will not be all that relevant.
I knew the hip hop and SQ thing was going to crop up. No matter, I will take it on the chin :boxer:
Room dimensions are,

H:115 inches W: 218 inches D: 238 inches
9.58ft 18.16ft 19.83ft

I have a total of 1k to spend on the speakers, sub and amp.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
Room dimensions are,

H:115 inches W: 218 inches D: 238 inches
9.58ft 18.16ft 19.83ft

I have a total of 1k to spend on the speakers, sub and amp.
Sound Quality + 3400 ft^3 + 2 Towers + 1 Subwoofer + 1 Receiver <> $1000

Your room is on the larger side, which means it's going to require some pretty sizable components to fill it. Being more of a quality than quantity person exacerbates the situation; just to get decent bass in a room that size you could easily spend the entire budget. If you're willing to temper your expectations regarding sound quality you can get 2 speakers and a sub for $1000, but then you'd have nothing left for a receiver.

Going with new equipment is going to present a challenge, given the circumstances. Have you considering used by chance?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First and foremost, thank you theJman for both your replies. I really don't mind going for used equipment. If i have to downgrade on the SQ, so be it.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Are you entertaining DIY speakers and sub? If you are, then a BFM THT for the sub $150, Inuke 1000dsp $230, Onkyo 414 $185, Fusion 8 - Alchemy $322, plus another $150-200 for materials to build your sub and speakers gets you pretty close to $1000.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you entertaining DIY speakers and sub? If you are, then a BFM THT for the sub $150, Inuke 1000dsp $230, Onkyo 414 $185, Fusion 8 - Alchemy $322, plus another $150-200 for materials to build your sub and speakers gets you pretty close to $1000.
I really don't think I hold the skills required to build my own boxes. I am flexible with the budget slightly.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
First and foremost, thank you theJman for both your replies. I really don't mind going for used equipment. If i have to downgrade on the SQ, so be it.
Well then, perhaps a BIC PL-200 and a pair of FH-6T towers might do the trick. The company those links point to generally accepts a "bid" of 15% off list price, which would put you in the $550 range. That leaves a good $400 for a receiver. Since those speakers are 90dB efficient you won't need a lot of power to drive them.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
The converted garage will have lots of reflective surfaces. As a result, detail in the music will be blurred by reflected sound from the walls and floor. If you can hang some sound treatments, such as fiberglass panels, I think you will notice quite a bit of improvement. That is regardless of what speakers you choose.

There is a lot of information here on HTS about building your own sound treatments. Even home type fiberglass insulation can be effective in upper and midrange frequencies.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The converted garage will have lots of reflective surfaces. As a result, detail in the music will be blurred by reflected sound from the walls and floor. If you can hang some sound treatments, such as fiberglass panels, I think you will notice quite a bit of improvement. That is regardless of what speakers you choose.

There is a lot of information here on HTS about building your own sound treatments. Even home type fiberglass insulation can be effective in upper and midrange frequencies.
Yeah, sadly this is not going to be an option as i live in rented accommodation :sad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well then, perhaps a BIC PL-200 and a pair of FH-6T towers might do the trick. The company those links point to generally accepts a "bid" of 15% off list price, which would put you in the $550 range. That leaves a good $400 for a receiver. Since those speakers are 90dB efficient you won't need a lot of power to drive them.
Thanks for your recommendations, I have sent them a fair offer of $575 for the sub and speakers and am waiting for their reply. Which receiver would one recommend? It needs to have a USB port, so I can plug in a pen drive or something. By no means does this mean that i will be playing low quality MP3s from it:nono:

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
While I'm pretty good with the electronics end of things, it's not exactly my area of expertise. Perhaps someone more accomplished will chime in with a few solid options for you to consider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts