Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Michael Chen, a THX (one of the only two instructors!) and ISF Video Calibration Instructor, has put together a series of videos that will walk you through the video calibration process. You will actually watch him calibrate a display throughout these videos and he adds a ton of useful information such as why Gamma is a curve, why we calibrate and why displays are not calibrated. He also goes over all of the video calibration knowledge items such as setting brightness, contrast, tint, color, calibrating grayscale, color management, etc. The videos use CalMAN for the majority but there are two videos covering ChromaPure as well.

These 20 videos run over 4 hours and are being sold by Michael for $10 each or $150 for all 18. Michael and HTS have teamed up to offer all 18 videos to HTS members for only $100. That's 33% off!

These videos are very similar to a compressed version of the THX class minus the hands-on calibration time. However these videos should not be construed as a substitute for the THX course. But keep in mind that the THX course is 3 days and costs around $1500.

You will need a Youtube account in order to watch the videos.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Greetings

Many thanks to the folks at HTS.

The Current time limit is set at 6 months ... after that, if you are still not done, then you are in real trouble. :)

If for some reason you still need an extension after that ... something nominal like $20 will get you another 6 months.

It should be noted that Calman is only used at the beginning for Pre-cal stuff and much later on when I get to grayscale and CMS. There are two CP equivalent videos on grayscale and CMS. The purpose is not to teach people how to use Calman or CP ... it is to teach the fundamentals of grayscale ... which doesn't care about which program you use. Viewers will quickly note that the Calman program might be used, but the workflow is completely customized and looks little like any other workflow in the program ... except the professional workflow.

If you are using CP, it is a good idea to watch the Calman version first since all the theory stuff is covered in those videos and not necessarily repeated in the CP videos.

Regards

·
Registered
98 Posts
Greetings

Every TV is different and every tv has lots of different picture settings. These videos do not take the place of a good professional calibrator as magic hands do not come out of the TV to play with your TV just because you bought a series of videos.

The Videos give you a giant step up on understanding the main user controls and how to adjust them ... generically speaking. Obviously no video can be made to fit each and every tv on the market. That is kinda unrealistic.

The videos certainly give you more information than any other disc on the market when it comes to these topics.

regards

·
Registered
98 Posts
Greetings

19 does not exist yet ... I haven't shot it yet. The subject nature makes it odd and I am still mulling it over. Soon ... (As in before the end of the year.)

Best Regards

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are contemplating calibrating your display(s) with software and a meter, these videos are a steal for their cost. You could spend months reading guides, forums, etc., or you could spend 4+ hours watching the videos. Can't remember something? Go back and watch the video!

This is a great deal!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Greetings,

The current video count is at 20, for the moment, with one more to come in the short term. Is there some final number that will be made? The answer would be no, because if I can find some topic that interests me, I will try to make another video out of it.

As long as a persons subscription is valid, they will get access to those new videos at no additional charge.

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
I am probably being dense here, but I have never really used my YouTube account for watching videos.

Once you purchase the videos, how exactly are they viewable? When I checked out, I was not asked for my YouTube account name so I am not sure how they are linked.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
When in doubt, shoot him an email. The email that I used for the purchase was not the one I had attached to my YouTube account, so I emailed him and he set it up properly.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts