Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I painted a beautiful 120" Wilson Art Fashion Gray laminate with the new BW mix.....Dover Gray + AAA., results are stunning, perfect colors, awesome blacks as expected,
BUT
On dark scenes (ie commercials, when BMW or Mercedes has they're logo with white text) I'm getting a "halo" effect.....not sure if it's Specularity but it looks exactly like white "sun rays" coming off the exact 4 corners on 45degree angles.....just like the image below from the Laminate testing thread here.

I first thought it was the PJ, but now I'm thinking it's the screen. I only did one coat, but I can't figure out why it's reflective if the FG is matte, and the new BW is flat. I've never seen this effect before, in many BW laminate screens, only the FG is different, figured I wouldn't need 2 coats as with Designer White.

Any ideas ?.....I'd rather not have to take the screen down and repaint, both the cost and possible damage (already chipped a corner)

I can take a screenshot if that helps.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hello.

Halo effect is a typical issue of mostly projectors after many hours of use. How many hours do you have on yours? Brand, model?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After all these hours probably you need a nice clean up of the wheel and optics as well.
I'm all ears....I'm willing to take it apart if it's good maintenance, use a little compressed air.

But I doubt that will fix the image issue I'm having.....I was reading about one internet forum guys describing something similar, a suggestion wsa to turn down the Sharpness, I did move my Sharpness to 100%.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update,
Playing with the picture last night, nothing seemed to help. I found the Verizon Fios Guide to be a perfect still image to show this phenomenon.

I turned the Sharpness down, from 100 to 50....it reduced the effect, but it's still there. Even played with lowering the Contrast, but that didn't help.

I forgot to take a picture, too much beer..... I'll take a picture tonight.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts