Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone....

I have built a pair of subwoofers for my home theater using Boston Accoustics SPG 555's.

Has anyone here every heard of anyone else doing this???

I used the SPG 555's because I will be able to replace the voice coils if they melt down.

The speakers handle 1000 watts each at 2 ohms. So I power them with a Peavey IPR 3000 rated at 1500 watts per channel at 2 ohms.

I actually made the cabinets as big as I could so my wife would not kick me out of my own house!!

They are 35" tall, 22" deep by 19" wide. One behind the TV in the corner and the other at the opposite corner
of the room behind the couch.

So far they have been great........ Plus I was able to hide them enough so she didn't even know they were there for a more than a month!!!

I was able to sell my previous subs on ebay, Definitive Technology PF 15PTL+'s . They were nice, mainly because I had 2. But they really didn't go very low. For years I never knew the difference until my son built a pair subs from scratch and I heard them... Holy Cow... what a difference!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are ported. I have the T/S parameters, how I built my subs and and photos. Want to put it all on here so someone with a "brain" can let me know how I did (and if I can improve something). I will try the text first then the pics. Just typing it will be a struggle for me...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm I tried to post my T/S parameters and enclosure info and it would not go....

was it too many words????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm.... not that I know of.

Peavey IPR 3000 amp is set on "sub" and receiver is set to "small" and 80 Hz.

Do I need something else?? Am I going to blow something up???

Thanks a lot by the way for all of your help!!!!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Here's what you have. The net volume of the box is 4.6 cu.ft. after displacement deductions are made for the driver and port. The tuning frequency is 23 hz, a bit high, but not too bad. 700 watts will take the sub to about as far as you'd want to go, anymore will bottom out the sub without a subsonic filter. With 2 of these subs you have plenty of 20 hz output as they are.

boston.JPG

·
Registered
131 Posts
that is a pretty neat sub. Have you seen the video on their website? The middle dust cap unscrews for easy coil replacement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I have seen it.....
I took one voice coil out just to look at the thing..... very heavy duty stuff!!

The subs sound deep.... very deep.... really like them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Mike...

Unfortunately.....I didn't take any pictures when we (son and I) built the enclosures.
I didn't know about Home Theater Shack at that time. Those boxes are like concrete vaults!
I looked at other build photos on here with all the complex bracing and was glad we did what we did.

My son had built a his first time just one MDF thick and blew the apart at the seams.
He also just used wood screws to secure the 12" subs in the face plate and blew the subs
screws right out of the holes.

From this first build he learned that double thick 3/4" MDF glued and nail gunned together plus
"T nuts" on the inside (and glued with Liquid Nails) to hold the subwoofer into place solve the
"exploding" issues.

If I want a subsonic filter, where would I get one????

Thanks for all your help!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will check...I have never heard them bottoming out .
Have had the volume WAY up there with the DDT lights flashing and a few times glowing steady...

They have to move 3 3/4" total to bottom out......that would sure be something!!!!

"Inception" (the movie) has some really low stuff.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts