Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Newbie here. So, if I missed something obvious, please forgive me.

I calibrated my Layla sound card without a hitch. However, when I went to calibrate the SPL reading (I'm running out the Layla, into a Mackie 1604 VLZ and out to my Mackie HR 824 monitors), I used the recommended Radio Shack (33-4050) meter range of 80dB. However, I got no signal from the meter at 80db and didn't get a signal until I boosted the Radio Shack setting to 110, whence I got a sound level of -1 dB in the meter.

Is this normal?

I put my reading of -1 in the calibration panel. Should it have been different based on my using a 120dB Radio Shack level setting instead of the recommended 80? My Mackie was pushing right up to the yellow, so it wasn't like the sound coming out of my speakers was abnormally quiet.

Thanks for your help.

Frank

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
However, I got no signal from the meter at 80db and didn't get a signal until I boosted the Radio Shack setting to 110
Well, you should have got signal using the 80dB range at the REW input level VU meter, so something is wrong there. Tell me about the cabling between the meter and the soundcard line-in.

brucek

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Brucek.

The cabling is your basic Audio Cable, 1/4" TRS Male-1/4" TRS Male. One cable out from the Layla to a Mackie input channel. Another from the Mackie CR-outs to the Mackie Hr 824 speaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts