Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I see nothing else other than you have a bad unit.

The response should not brick wall at 120Hz.

See the difference between yours and mine....

srm soundcard cal file.jpg

Check, check and double check that you don't have an EQ on in the SRM. In fact, toggle them on and off to be sure...

brucek

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ok when i enable the equalizer the Flat button is blue! But if i disable it everything becomes grayed out so i suppose that the filters should be off correct?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yes they are all off! Boy I hope I don't have a bad one, that would suck! What if I used what i have as the calibration file will it not work?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Depends how much of a brick wall that 120Hz is.

I can only tell that if you show me a graph with a vertical scale wider than the normal +3dB to -3dB.

Try something with about a 60dB swing..(+/-30), so the line is still visible at 10Hz.....

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Adjust the vertical scale of your graph you posted earlier from (-3dB to +3dB) to (-30dB to +30dB) or there-abouts.

Use the Graph Limits icon button.

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
here it is! It is the exact same graph.
That's the graph with the vertical set from -3dB to +3dB. Set it to -30dB to +30dB

As an example, here's two graphs of the exact same data but with the scale difference I describe above.

-3dB to +3dB
srm soundcard cal file 1.jpg

-30dB to +30dB
srm soundcard cal file 2.jpg

brucek

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
help me out with the settings. I have the left at 10 and the right set at 200 the top is 105 and the bottom is 45. What do i need to change to get the graph you have?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Huh, I'm really surprised at how poor that is. It's as if a brick wall filter is at 120Hz.... Weird.

Nope, no good for REW, unless you limit your low end limit of measurements to 120Hz.... Not of any use for a sub..

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Not much else I can think of.

It's a fairly basic measure of the output looped back to the input of a soundcard with a straight cable. The only thing that should be revealed is the total looped frequency response of the card itself. As long as you have no equalizer, soundfield, or filter settings turned on, and the cards mode is stereo (hopefully you have it set to two speakers), and the cable is a simple wire, then it should show the true response of the card. Your response looks fine except for the very smooth and rapid dropoff at 120Hz, which isn't normal.....

brucek

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
That is a crossover filter response, the card must be set up to cross over to a sub at 120Hz, the rest of your signal is coming out of the 0.1 sub connection. Turn off the Turtle Beach card's surround processing, just set it up as a stereo card.

Edit: To do this, set the speaker configuration to Stereo on the Speakers tab

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
To do this, set the speaker configuration to Stereo on the Speakers tab
I believe the stereo or 5.1 switches only affect the multi-channel output port. He's (correctly) using the line-out port that should always be simple stereo without the possibility of any high or low pass filtering. Either way I did get him to ensure it was in 'two speaker' output and that made no difference. Something is sure amiss though...

brucek

21 - 40 of 47 Posts