Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on how this sub models for HT?

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice:D. I knew for the most part HT enthusiasts want to stay away from car audio stuff. But, I saw this and to me it looked ok. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, and the Blueprint, SDX15, and all the others in the making. How long does that process normally last? Have you heard anything on the new Mach 5?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I saw these this morning. Even though they model well and you can model them with 2000 watts its almost impossible to have that input power in a low tune as velocity is too high and they prefer a smaller box in a higher tune to get the best alignment. They don't model as well as the malx's. The FS is a little high on them.

I don't think they will worry the new blueprint or mach audio's especially the mach audio's as they have always modelled really well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw these this morning. Even though they model well and you can model them with 2000 watts its almost impossible to have that input power in a low tune as velocity is too high and they prefer a smaller box in a higher tune to get the best alignment. They don't model as well as the malx's. The FS is a little high on them.

I don't think they will worry the new blueprint or mach audio's especially the mach audio's as they have always modelled really well.
I modeled these with 1400w which is the peak power they would see in my set up ((stereo)and the max air velocity was under 17. With the amp bridged to 4ohm mono, at 2400rms the velocity was maxed at 22. With peak power being 4000w bridged, the velocity didnt get past 28. At that point, the sub would be over excurted at 14 hz but at normal listening levels, it wouldnt see 4000w. I know the FS was higher than most HT subs but I still like the way this sub models vs some other options I have.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I modeled these with 1400w which is the peak power they would see in my set up ((stereo)and the max air velocity was under 17. With the amp bridged to 4ohm mono, at 2400rms the velocity was maxed at 22. With peak power being 4000w bridged, the velocity didnt get past 28. At that point, the sub would be over excurted at 14 hz but at normal listening levels, it wouldnt see 4000w. I know the FS was higher than most HT subs but I still like the way this sub models vs some other options I have.
After I posted this, I realized that I changed the port to a 3x29 slot vs my (2) 6", which the slot gave me better results with the same size box. What I got from the round ports wasnt bad, but the slotted turned out better.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Its not bad, on your model you are 6db down at 20hz where as when I model I try to keep max -3db at the tuning frequency. Increase the frequency on your model to 24hz and the alignment is -3db at tuning and gives a flatter response. Obvously with room gain your model will increase at the bottom end.

Not badly prices though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not bad, on your model you are 6db down at 20hz where as when I model I try to keep max -3db at the tuning frequency. Increase the frequency on your model to 24hz and the alignment is -3db at tuning and gives a flatter response. Obvously with room gain your model will increase at the bottom end.

Not badly prices though.
you're right. I didnt even look at the -3.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Mike,

Your right they do model very similar but the alignment is much better on the malx. This is a 15 cu ft tuned to 15hz for comparison.
Agreed. Any tuning lower then 18 hz on the Xcon and the Maelstrom will out perform it. Too bad they don't exist anymore. It was an awesome driver.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Thats why I think the new IXL 18 mach audio driver is really going to shine and sell very very well.

I just hope that FI have learned alot in terms off changing the parameters on the new blueprint drivers to have a much lower FS than their current FI drivers. After all they are more designed for a HT use.

I just wish they would hurry up. :hissyfit: LOL.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Is there a website up yet for the blueprint drivers ? I can't find anything on them when I do a search but I keep hearing about them.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Nope not as far as I know. I think it is still password protected. I have emailed and emailed my UK distributor til I am blue in the teeth. They know we know they make and sell great products which is why I am still keen on the blueprints so I will still aim for them but the mach audios are still in the back off my mind.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Does anyone know how to get some inside information on these drivers. They must be developed by now or atleast they should know what the parameters are likely to be.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts