Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wonderting if anyone here stacks subwoofers. I will have 2 subs soon and they will both be sealed. One is a 1.2cf box and the other will be a 2.2cf box both with 12'' drivers a Shiva X and the other is an ED 13.0v2. Is there any reason not to do this and if so why? Also if you do stack them should they be attached to eachother or is it better to have a little isolation between them. My room is not very big so space is at a premium........Any advice?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Thread moved to Diy Subwoofers.

How well stacking subs will work is dependent on your room. For some it works well, for others it's better to place them in separate locations. The advantage of having 2 separate subs is you have the ability to experiment to see what the best placement option is.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I would not recommend to place isolation between stacked subs. I tried stacking my subs with a subdude between them and it fell over...twice.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not recommend to place isolation between stacked subs. I tried stacking my subs with a subdude between them and it fell over...twice.
I was thinking more in the way of rubber feet that would not slide.....

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How well stacking subs will work is dependent on your room. For some it works well, for others it's better to place them in separate locations. The advantage of having 2 separate subs is you have the ability to experiment to see what the best placement option is.
Well like I said the room is small and if it works to stack them it would be easier to intergrate into my HT. I do understand I will need to experiment but one other time I had an extra sub, before I sold it, and running both seemed to cancel alot of the bass and that isn't good.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Remember ... REW is your friend :bigsmile:

Place them together (stacked) and run REW ... then try different places (even if like you said, you're limited in space) and run REW again ... se wich one gives you the best results :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That could have been a phase issue. I run 4 subs in 4 locations, each with an adjustable phase. It took some tweaking to get them all to sound good at the same time. The other expaination would be an room mode which would be more difficult to overcome.

I hope it is not a room mode problem. My reciever has phase control but I don't think I tried shutting it off and tweaking the phase on the sub or in my sms1. I will definitly do that when my other sub is done.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember ... REW is your friend :bigsmile:

Place them together (stacked) and run REW ... then try different places (even if like you said, you're limited in space) and run REW again ... se wich one gives you the best results :yes:

Well I don't run REW I have a sms1 so I will definitly spend more time with that. I still hope that stacking works for me because of my space issue.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
There are advantages to each type of placement.

Co-location of subwoofers will give you approximately 6dB more output - 3dB from the addition of the second subwoofer and 3dB from the units having constructive interference (essentially acting as a single woofer). Stacking can help remove room modes on the Z axis in the room although such issues are rarely of significant interest compared to other axial modes.

Placing the subwoofers in different points in the room will yield about 3dB in SPL, but will allow you to maximize bass response for the most number of seats via placement and phase adjustment. This method allows you to force interaction of the subwoofers such that the effects of room modes are mitigated or removed.

The basic point here is if you have a single spot in your room that yields good results for the intended listening locations then co-location is probably best. If you are having room interaction issues placement of the subs in varying locations is ideal. If the latter is chosen use REW, equalization and phase adjustments to maximize response.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andrew, that makes alot of sense. The one sub I have now sounds great and gives me the flatest response according to my SMS. It actually sounds best in my seating area but if you walk around the room there is some nulls but they are not where anyone would be sitting.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wayne you could be right but the one I run now is in the small box and once I get the larger box done then if I can't intergrate both to the room then I will just use the shiva in the larger enclosure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts