Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just got a really nice picture from a customer who finally finished his room and was able to take a few pictures for me.

If you are needing a project to keep you busy, I'd be happy to offer suggestions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So you are thinking about a painted night sky mural in your theater... and wondering about putting blacklights in a soffit to charge the paint. Will it work if it's not too far down from the ceiling?

Hopefully this will help answer that question...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I still get questions about "tube" black lights not charging the glow paint. Normally, the tube black lights are a great source of UV light, so why wouldn't they charge the paint? Twice I drove a long way only to discover a simple solution.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The question comes up a lot when someone asks me to paint a night sky for them, they get one of our Kits, or if they are just wanting to free-hand a night sky on their own. I'll be asked, "do I really need constellations in my mural," or, if they already know that they want to have them, "do I need to have them accurate?"

Here's what I suggest, especially when I'm about to paint a mural and the customer (on a rare occasion) tells me to just paint a night sky and to skip the constellations. I tell them that the constellations are important because they have the largest stars in the mural... and they are important to the 3D effect. At that point they'll usually agree with me, so I just suggest that they let me pick some constellations to put into the mural (since we are going to put those stars in anyway). Here's why I like putting in constellations instead of just random constellation-sized stars. When you try to put something in randomly, they usually turn out to look more uniform than a perfectly laid-out pegboard. I've found that it's much easier to make things look random by painting the stars in a pattern.

Here's a video where I explain why constellations are good... but they don't need to be placed accurately.

I'm happy to help anyone who wants to paint a star ceiling, with tips that might help. Please ask here or shoot me an email.

Good luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A question I get regularly... Do I need a soffit to put black lights in? My ceiling is low and I'm wondering if I can still use blacklights? What are my optoins? Hopefully this video will help with some of those questions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A couple of years ago, after painting for this customer, he sent me 11 videos of him showing off his theater, but even better... he goes into explaining things that always come up when people are looking into having a mural painted, or painting one themselves. Just ignore the parts where he's lavishing praise on me... and listen for the little nuggets of good info. :) I'll post them one at a time so I don't do a massive dump of info. Here's the first of the videos:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Here are a few more videos from this customer. There are some good nuggets in these videos and I hope that they spark an interest in y'all getting or painting your own ceilings... and hopefully you'll have questions that I can answer. I'd love to answer them for you!

2 of 11

3 of 11

4 of 11

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Videos 7-9

Video 7 - The glow paint on a colored ceiling - in the light

Video 8 - The murals, black lights and a little on soffits.

Video 9 - His Night Sky Mural with a movie playing, and other stuff...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wanting to paint your star ceiling, but not sure how you want to lay things out? I get questions on that all the time... and thought that this might help.

This is what I send to people who are buying my DIY Kit, but it should be helpful to anyone who wants to freehand their ceiling too.

These are some of the more well-known constellations, but if you like other ones, you can easily find them online. These are also laid out roughly where they'd be in relation to one another.

Unless you are OCD about tputting every star where it needs to go (where only you would know), then I'd suggest only worrying about putting the Big and Little Dippers where they need to go in relation to one another and if you have room, then Cassiopeia too. Then just place however many others that you can in your mural, without going too small or too crowded, and call it good.

The constellations are awesome, but they aren't the entire night sky. They play a big part in the look and feel, but don't overthink things. For constellation sized stars you can use a Q-Tip to paint it, and it should be about the size of the Q-Tip.

Once you have your constellations mapped out and painted, then you'll move on to adding in a good number of randomly placed smaller stars. The smaller stars should be painted with something small and pointed. I suggest that people use a small paint brush... and then turn it around and use the pointy tip of the handle. DON'T USE THE BRUSH END!!

Good luck. I'd love questions if you've got 'em.

Jeff

Eye Font Circle Diagram Science

21 - 34 of 34 Posts