38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently started building my first sub. Here's what I'm going for:
Driver: Mach 5 Audio IXL-18.2.2
Enclosure volume: ~424 litres
port: 7.94" diameter, 42.89" length
tuned to: 13.5Hz
amp: Behringer EP4000

Thanks to Mike P. for answering my question bomb!

This is what it will look like:

The white stripes indicate where the bracing would go. I'll also have support going from end to end, length-wise. The driver will be on the base, and I'll just stack a few sheets of MDF so there's room for it.
I designed it by looking at Neo Dan's and btp's pics.

Here are some pics of what I have completed so far....first, the mdf:

Now the bracing that holds the port:

More work this weeking, crossing fingers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it won't. It's going on the base, but the enclosure will sit on the floor on one of the long sides (and probably on casters).

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Impressive bracing mate. Really looking forward to seeing what result you get as I have two FI Q ported subs tuned to 13.5hz (rolls off about 11.5hz with REW) and I am impressed with mine.

Looking forward to more build pics.

I would be careful in running any where near 1000 watts through that sub as you will exceed max excursion of 22mm at 26hz with 1000 watts. 500 watts and you will be fine.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gperkins! Can't wait to get this finished.
Since I'm getting the EP4000, I was thinking at running it at 800-900W, is that too much as well?

SteveCallas, originally I had no plans on doing another sub. However... Now I'm thinking it would be a waste not to utilize the second channel on the EP4000. I'm undecided!

More pics of my progress:

The vertical side that does not have vertical clamps is not glued yet. It was just used as a guide to make sure the bracing and other 2 sides fit nice and snug.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

Here are some more pics, starting with casters:

Good use of available tools:

Sub sitting vertically, on top of 2 old table supports, with the flared end + rings attached, as well as silicone around bracing and port:

Getting close, getting nervous haha

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pics I forgot to post:

Today, the final piece goes on, the driver side! Had some trouble with barbed inserts, so had to re-do that piece, which is now plywood instead of mdf. Tomorrow, it should be "finished" and I'll run Audyssey then start playing with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I waited 4 WEEKS to get my speaker back! It was finally fixed today so I could go through Audyssey with the new sub.

Pics I didn't upload yet:

If someone was real curious, the could go behind the sub and check out how far the paint goes inside the part. Otherwise, even if the port is facing the viewer, they can't really see it because of the angle.

Gotta clean the driver and finish removing small bits of tape on the circumference of it (used to glue paper towels so I could paint around it).

Taken in the middle of Audyssey setup, after the mic measurements. To do: buy speaker stands, save components from mdf dust, vacuum lots!

Now the bad news...
This sub is weaker than my Mirage PS-8. Going through the settings trying to figure out why, but right now, it is totally silent/inaudible, or barely audible. Really disappointing, but I'm reasonably confident that it isn't the driver... Just hope it is something I can fix through the AVR or by getting Samson S-convert.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The final product looks great

As for the lack of output have you double checked all the settings on the back of the EP4000? There must be an issue somewhere.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The sub looks great!

but I'm reasonably confident that it isn't the driver
Hopefully it isn't but assume nothing. Finding the problem is a process of elimination. The first thing I would is verify both coils of the sub are working. Test the coils to see what resistance they are and then take it from there.

You said you waited 4 weeks for the sub to be fixed, what was the problem?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts