Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I haven't have a chance to post here often. I'd like to share my completed Statement Center designed by Jim and Curt from HTGuide - Thanks Jim and Curt and everyone else that help me. It's an awesome center. The mid sounds so sweet and clear (love it). If you don't mind the size, you should considering this center. I'm thinking of building the Statements for the mains, but short of funds and time. Some of you might have seen it in HTGuide (apologize for the repost). I'm really enjoy this center. I've just listen to The Eagles - Hell Freeze Over last night... It sounds so good so that I must spread the words :jump:

Here are some finished pictures:

Center Re-do 008.jpg

Center Re-do 011.jpg

Center Re-do 012.jpg

Center Re-do 013.jpg

Center Re-do 007 Resize.JPG

Center Re-do 004Resize.JPG

Center Re-do 006Resize.JPG

Al,

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is beautiful! What are the dimensions and how much did it cost to build?
The dimensions are 24"W x 11"H x 13.5"D. It cost me roughly $530 and lots of time on the finish. I had to redo my finish twice cuz' my nephews screwed up the surfaces the first time around.

Al,

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, looks AMAZING.

You now have (one of the) best looking and sounding center channels out there. Be proud.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow that finish is gorgeous. Would you mind sharing how you managed to achieve it? I'm thinking of building some custom racks and would LOVE to get a finish like that. Did you use a pressurized paint sprayer?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow that finish is gorgeous. Would you mind sharing how you managed to achieve it? I'm thinking of building some custom racks and would LOVE to get a finish like that. Did you use a pressurized paint sprayer?
Nope. Believe it or not, I only use spray can paint and a lot of sanding. Heavy duty sanding w/ palm sander outside, and wet sanding inside the apartment. I live in an apartment but luckily I got a hallway between the apartments complex... That's my working place :) I would say anybody with patience can do this... It took me a little less than 2 months to do it... I've post step by step of how I did it in AVS forum... let me paste it here....

Materials:

Bondo = $10
Zinsser SealCoat = $10
3 cans of primer = $11
5 cans of gloss black = $20
3 cans of black lacquer = $12
Sand Paper 100,150,220 = had it from previous projects
Sand Paper 400 = $4
Sand Paper 600 (x2) = $8
Sand Paper 800 (x2) = $8
Sand Paper 1000 (x2) = $8
Sand Paper 1500 = $4
Sand Paper 2000 = $4
Meguiar’s Fine Cut = had it
Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7 = had it
Meguiar’s G14422 Ultimate Quick Detailer = had it
Gloves = had it

Free stuffs:
About 1 gallon of sweat  priceless
Gain a muscle or two on both of my arms
Free back pain due to bending down for sanding and lifting the cabinet
Free time well spent (2 months of on and off process)

It cost me about $100 or so on materials for this finish. It will cost more or less depends on what you've got already...

Procedures:

Make sure you did a good prep job on your cabinet. Fill any imperfections with Bondo. Sand it as flat as possible…

1. Use a piece of cloth to wipe the sealcoat on the cabinet (make sure there's no lil bubbles).

2. Apply a thin first seal coat... Wait about two hrs, then apply the second coat (thicker coat). I had a few run-on on the thicker coat which cost me a lot of time sanding it out. It's really tough to sand out the run-on... so if you do, just apply two thin coats and make sure you don't have any run-on. I wait one day before sanding the sealcoat... If I have to do it again, I will wait for 2 or 3 days... It seemed like the sealcoat isn't really dry yet when I did the sanding...

3. Apply first two coats of primer without sanding in between. I did some sanding before the 3rd coat of the primer. Then sand again, and really make sure it's flat. I use my palm sander for most heavy sanding then I use a cut-out piece of MDF as a sanding block for a lighter sanding.

4. After sanding, I wet a piece of cloth to wipe off the particles... and use the dry one to dry it off. I tried to make sure the surfaces are all clean.

5. Apply 3 coats of gloss black. Let it dry for a day or so (the longer the better) then sand it with 600 grits.

6. Apply 2 more coats of gloss black. Let it dry for a day or so then wet sand it with 600 grits.

7. Apply 2 more coats of gloss black. Let it dry for a day or so then wet sand it with 800 grits.

8. Apply 2 more coats of gloss black. Let it dry for a day or so then wet sand it with 800 grits then 1000 grits.

9. Spray 4 coats of black lacquer. Let it sit for 10 days for the lacquer to cure. A little line started to show between the laminated baffles during the lacquer curing process. It’s probably cause by the lacquer shrinking or whatever. Apply more coats if needed so you can sand it flat without going through you paint. I ended up applied 3 more coats of black lacquer because I did sanded through the lacquer coats…

10. Wet sand it with the 1000 grits and make sure you don’t see any more “orange peel” on the cabinet. Smooth it out as much as you can. Sand the rounded edges first that way you don’t see the sand marks on the flat surfaces. Then do the same with 1500 grits sand paper. I did stopped at 1500 grits because my arms can’t hold it no more. You can still see some of the minor scratches on my cabinet, not major enough for me to waste a few more days of sanding. You should carry on through with the 2000 grits sand paper.

11. Clean up the cabinet with water, wipe it dry with a fine cloth (careful to not scratch anything)

12. Apply the Meguiar’s Fine Cut Cleaner; buff it out using machine or hand. (I’m doing it by hand). I did 1 coat of that. If you have more patient you should do like 3 coats for better result.

13. Apply the Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7; buff it out… apply as many coats as you feel like it shines enough for you. (I did 1 coat due to my poor arms yelling for mercy).

14. Apply the Meguiar’s G14422 Ultimate Quick Detailer coat (1 coat for me).

15. Done. Knock yourself out with some whines/beers for a job well done…

Al,

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Once again, I can only echo what the other posters have said. Beautiful work and thanks for posting all the details.

bob

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Al,

Is there a design for the surrounds that go with the Statements? I checked out the post and it wasn't obvious to me if they use the mini Statement as the surround.

Thanks.

Bob

C

·
0 Posts
It looks really good guy! You should come and work for me and build speakers haha

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Thanks Al. I missed the monitors and was looking at the smaller tower. The monitors look very impressive and make this a very, very tempting DIY project (L/R,Center,Surrounds). Especially if a person could get the finished look of your center!

Bob

1 - 20 of 38 Posts