Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - just upgraded receiver and plasma and now thinking of upgrading my DT Pro 1000/800 Cinema fronts, center, and surrounds - what would be good to replace with for movies, etc - dont really have an endless budget but also want to replace with something decent - I heard the Polks are good?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question - can I replace all 3 fronts (Pro Cinema 800's and 1000 Center) with a larger more powerful DT CLR?

If so would it sound better and which model?

thanks

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
How big is your room and what type of budget do you have? Those are two key pieces of information when sizing HT equipment. Also, are you looking for bookshelf speakers again, or were you thinking towers this time?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How big is your room and what type of budget do you have? Those are two key pieces of information when sizing HT equipment. Also, are you looking for bookshelf speakers again, or were you thinking towers this time?
I am afraid I just dont have the space for towers so it will have to be wall mounted ones -

budget isnt that much of an issue - room size is approx 20x30

my main question is can I upgrade each speaker at a time if I stick with def tech?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Your projected budget is actually a huge consideration. Without any type of parameters you could get suggestions ranging from $100 each to $10,000 each. In order for them to be relevant some type of number would be necessary. However, since you appear primarily interested in getting the upgrade question answered I'll focus strictly on that.

If you're referring to the front three channels you should always try to "voice match" them, meaning have speakers that are as close to identical as possible. Just getting them from the same manufacturer doesn't qualify I'm afraid. A company like DefTech has a wide variety to choose from, so you would need to stick to the same series in order to be completely certain they'll match each other. You don't have to be terribly concerned with the surrounds, because those aren't as critical, but the front three should be matched.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your projected budget is actually a huge consideration. Without any type of parameters you could get suggestions ranging from $100 each to $10,000 each. In order for them to be relevant some type of number would be necessary. However, since you appear primarily interested in getting the upgrade question answered I'll focus strictly on that.

If you're referring to the front three channels you should always try to "voice match" them, meaning have speakers that are as close to identical as possible. Just getting them from the same manufacturer doesn't qualify I'm afraid. A company like DefTech has a wide variety to choose from, so you would need to stick to the same series in order to be completely certain they'll match each other. You don't have to be terribly concerned with the surrounds, because those aren't as critical, but the front three should be matched.
How about these:

Studio monitors 55 for front right/left
Cs 8060HD center

I have an SVS PB 12 sub

Is the center overkill in this situation it will it enhance with more bass?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Frankly, I don't understand what DefTech is doing placing a subwoofer in their center. It's difficult for me to see the value in that configuration. You already have a very capable sub in the PB12, so I'm not sure if adding another one to the center channel will be all that beneficial.

A 12x20 room is a somewhat formidable space for bookshelf speakers, so it's perhaps best to consider those that have good output potential. A few that spring to mind are...

·
Registered
60 Posts
How about these:

Studio monitors 55 for front right/left
Cs 8060HD center

I have an SVS PB 12 sub

Is the center overkill in this situation it will it enhance with more bass?
That proposed setup would certainly put a big smile on your face. A co-worker of mine recently purchased the SM 55's and can't stop raving about them. I steered him toward them after a demo at BB and they certainly were impressive.

With your budget of 2k you could even take it one step up the DefTech food chain with:

1 CS-8080
2 StudioMonitor 65's

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frankly, I don't understand what DefTech is doing placing a subwoofer in their center. It's difficult for me to see the value in that configuration. You already have a very capable sub in the PB12, so I'm not sure if adding another one to the center channel will be all that beneficial.

A 12x20 room is a somewhat formidable space for bookshelf speakers, so it's perhaps best to consider those that have good output potential. A few that spring to mind are...

[*]Ascend Acoustics CMT-340, for all three channels

[*]Source Technologies 1.6WC for the fronts and a CC-2 WC center

[*]SVS Ultra Series, for all three channels

[*]XTZ 99.25 for the fronts, along with the matching center.
I prefer to stay def tech.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I prefer to stay def tech.
The new Definitive Studio Monitors are nice - and a big step-up from the ProCinemas.
If you have the placement options, you can use one of the Studio Monitors as a center.
They are sold by the each.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That proposed setup would certainly put a big smile on your face. A co-worker of mine recently purchased the SM 55's and can't stop raving about them. I steered him toward them after a demo at BB and they certainly were impressive.

With your budget of 2k you could even take it one step up the DefTech food chain with:

1 CS-8080
2 StudioMonitor 65's
Wouldn't the 8080 be too much bass since I have a sweet SVS PB 12 sub already?

Wouldn't it be better to put the funds towards the other fronts instead?

Unless I'm missing something and a center with a woofer is ideal even with a dedicated subwoofer ??

I think the 65's are too much for my space. I'd probably opt for the 55's or even the 45's? Not sure.

In any event, I'm assuming that the Studio Monitor series trumps the Pro Cinema series? Am I correct ?

In the same respect, I'm assuming the CS8040 trumps the Pro Center 2000?

Trying to make a move. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wouldn't the 8080 be too much bass since I have a sweet SVS PB 12 sub already?

Wouldn't it be better to put the funds towards the other fronts instead?

Unless I'm missing something and a center with a woofer is ideal even with a dedicated subwoofer ??

I think the 65's are too much for my space. I'd probably opt for the 55's or even the 45's? Not sure.

In any event, I'm assuming that the Studio Monitor series trumps the Pro Cinema series? Am I correct ?

In the same respect, I'm assuming the CS8040 trumps the Pro Center 2000?

Trying to make a move. Thanks for the help!!
I overlooked the fact that you already were employing a sub that you're pleased with. You would probably be fine with the CS-8040 that you originally proposed as it employs a passive radiator in place of the powered 300w subwoofer.

As far as the StudioMonitors's go, yes they are a step up from the ProCinema series as they employ bigger woofers, passive radiators & of course, enclosures. This results in a more robust, fuller sound with deeper bass. The decision between the StudioMonitor series vs the ProCinema series ultimately is one of space/size. For my current living room situation size was a consideration which is why I settled on the more compact ProCinema series.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I overlooked the fact that you already were employing a sub that you're pleased with. You would probably be fine with the CS-8040 that you originally proposed as it employs a passive radiator in place of the powered 300w subwoofer.

As far as the StudioMonitors's go, yes they are a step up from the ProCinema series as they employ bigger woofers, passive radiators & of course, enclosures. This results in a more robust, fuller sound with deeper bass. The decision between the StudioMonitor series vs the ProCinema series ultimately is one of space/size. For my current living room situation size was a consideration which is why I settled on the more compact ProCinema series.
on the other hand, is the Sub totally independent on only working with LFE scenes and NOT vocals/regular audio during movies? In this case gong with a powerful center life the 8060 with sub inside would yield better/clearer vocals/effects that dont incorporate LFE? Am I correct with this assumption?

In your opinion is the Center channel most important or the (2) front channels (left & right) ?
(for movies/HDTV)

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
on the other hand, is the Sub totally independent on only working with LFE scenes and NOT vocals/regular audio during movies? In this case gong with a powerful center life the 8060 with sub inside would yield better/clearer vocals/effects that dont incorporate LFE? Am I correct with this assumption?

In your opinion is the Center channel most important or the (2) front channels (left & right) ?
(for movies/HDTV)

Thanks
The subwoofer is continuously active during movies. However, how much is dictated by the scene & the accompanying audio track. For instance a scene consisting of mostly dialogue is going to require a lot less bass that a scene depicting a car explosion. Even something as seemingly innocuous as ones voice contains bass notes, although some more than others (think James Earl Jones vs Sponge Bob). Whether or not it is worth purchasing a center channel with an active subwoofer (8060 or 8080) vs a passive radiator (8040) is purely subjective. I would suggest demoing the Def Tech center channels at your local Best Buy to be sure.

As far as importance the center channel is ALWAYS the most important component in a home theater as the vast majority of a movies audio track is played through it (as much as 75%). This is where you want to put the most $$ toward. After the center channel, the right/left front channels are next in importance. Lastly are the surround channel speakers as they only are used for ambient or background effects.

Hope this helps in making your decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There really isn't a real center channel match for the DefTech Studio Monitor 55. Closest thing is to hunt down an older CLR 2000. If you were to find the room for the SM65, then the 8080HD would be a good match for it. If you were to go with the CLR2000 as a center, then you can get a pair of SM450 for $280 at Newegg when they discount them, which seems like every few days. The imaging is a bit different on the SM450 vs. the SM55 and some people generally believe the SM55 is a better-sounding speaker, but ALL agree that it isn't worth double the cost over the previous-gen SM450.

I have a pair of SM55 but I am only using them as Front Height speakers with occasional 2-channel use when I don't want to use my main amplifier. I don't think they will be good enough to fill a 20' x 30' room.

My take on active subs in center channel speakers. I have a CLR 3000 with a 150 watt powered sub. I do not use this as a sub-woofer but as an extension of the center channel. It basically turns the 2-way into a 3-way center without having to have tons of amplification to drive it. My center has a gain knob in the back to adjust the active sub-woofer. It definitely makes a difference in overall dynamics of whatever comes out of the center channel. I have tested this out by unplugging the power for the sub-woofer. Not so much with voices unless it is digitally altered to be lower or more resonate, like Darth Vader or Bane in The Dark Knight Rises, but it makes a difference with anything else that goes on in the center. To me, it seems to even out everything in the front since I have BP7000SC for left and right.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Glad you could join us, jevans64! Great first post, thanks for helping out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There really isn't a real center channel match for the DefTech Studio Monitor 55. Closest thing is to hunt down an older CLR 2000. If you were to find the room for the SM65, then the 8080HD would be a good match for it. If you were to go with the CLR2000 as a center, then you can get a pair of SM450 for $280 at Newegg when they discount them, which seems like every few days. The imaging is a bit different on the SM450 vs. the SM55 and some people generally believe the SM55 is a better-sounding speaker, but ALL agree that it isn't worth double the cost over the previous-gen SM450.

I have a pair of SM55 but I am only using them as Front Height speakers with occasional 2-channel use when I don't want to use my main amplifier. I don't think they will be good enough to fill a 20' x 30' room.

My take on active subs in center channel speakers. I have a CLR 3000 with a 150 watt powered sub. I do not use this as a sub-woofer but as an extension of the center channel. It basically turns the 2-way into a 3-way center without having to have tons of amplification to drive it. My center has a gain knob in the back to adjust the active sub-woofer. It definitely makes a difference in overall dynamics of whatever comes out of the center channel. I have tested this out by unplugging the power for the sub-woofer. Not so much with voices unless it is digitally altered to be lower or more resonate, like Darth Vader or Bane in The Dark Knight Rises, but it makes a difference with anything else that goes on in the center. To me, it seems to even out everything in the front since I have BP7000SC for left and right.
Thanks!

Would the 450's mate well with my Pro Center 2000 I already own? Or do I change that to a CS8040 or 8060?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts