Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think was the best forum to post this question.

I have several question concerning the removal of heat build up within a wooden cabinet that stores my stereo equipment. The cabinet has 3 separate compartments and I do not want to cut vent holes within the internal walls. Therefore, I am looking for an intake/exhaust thermal controlled fax system for each (3) compartment.

Looking at the AC Infinity fan systems it appears each cabinet fan system will have a 19 DbA sound rating. Am I correct in thinking that if all 3 fan systems are on at one point, I will have a sound rating of 57 Dba (3 x 19)? If all fans are located in the rear of the cabinet, which will be about 4 inches from the room wall, will 57 DbA noise level be audible from 10 ft away from the front of the cabinet.

I found AC Infinity on the internet so I used them as reference. Are there other manufacturers of cooling fan systems on the market are better or more reliable? Any comments, suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that if all 3 fan systems are on at one point, I will have a sound rating of 57 Dba (3 x 19)?
Nope. The sum of 3 19dB sources will be about 4.8dB higher or about 23.9dB. Still pretty quiet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Kal,
Do you know if there is any manufacturer better than the others or are they all selling the same stuff.
Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know about differences in quality, if any, of cooling fan among the various manufacturers?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have never really heard anything bad said about AC Infinity other than maybe price.
When you said your equipment was in a wooden cabinet, does that mean it has a mostly solid back panel and is open in the front or does the front have doors?

The reason I ask is that I have experience with a cabinet that had doors and cooling the components was absolutely necessary! My receiver would still shut itself down even AFTER I installed some AC infinity fans in the back of the cabinet. There just was not enough air flow with the door closed so I had to leave the door half open when using the stereo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it has doors in the front that close tight and the back also has a wood panel with 5 - 20" x 2" vertical vent holes.

Originally I was thinking 6 - 6" x 6" fans (Airplate T3), three intake (bottom) and three exhaust fans (top), in order to have both an exhaust and intake fan in each of the three 8 cubic foot compartments, with all vent holes in back board sealed to create a airflow path from bottom to top. However, do to room restrictions at the bottom of cabinet, It may be easier to use AC Infinity 6" x 2" (Airplate S2) for the bottom fans. This means intake fans at 35 cfm are less than exhaust fans at 52 cfm, but I will then leave vent holes in bottom back areas to compensate. From your experience, do you feel I am better served with using the 6" x 6" fans at bottom? Everything will be controlled by a thermal controller for each compartment.

I had to open the back of the cabinet in order to give access to interconnects, power and in one case to extend the base another 6" beyond the 20" interior length due to equipment length. Its going to be an effort but I was planning on closing in the open areas to ensure an airflow path from bottom to top. Do you think it would be beneficial to leave these areas wide open in the back?

Each compartment is 8 cu ft so in a perfect world the air would be completely exchanged within 10-15 seconds. Your comments from experience is appreciated.
Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A picture is enclosed.
The cabinet has 3 compartments, each measuring 20"Deep x 26" Wide x 27" High (14,040 cu in divided by 1728 cu in/cu ft = 8.1 cubic feet for each compartment)

The center compartment has 2 pieces of equipment, a Torus Toridal Power Transformer and a Bryston SP3 Pre/Pro, that heats up to 86 degrees when room temperature is 78 degrees with the back of the cabinet open and front door ajar. The other compartments have 3 components each, Left - a couple of YBA2 amplifiers, Innous Zenith Mk3 music server and Right - Magnum Dynalab Tuner Krell 20i CD player and Genesis Advanced Tech Servo Amplifier for the woofers in my Gen V speakers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does the center one get the hottest, because 86 degrees is not very warm at all.
If that is indeed the case then I think you would be fine with just some rear exhaust fans and some intake holes in the bottom of the compartments.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correction 86 degrees was with front door ajar and with it closed the temperature increased to 89 degrees, still not bad.
As you can see its under construction so most components are not installed yet. I put in the essential components and the center appeared to be hottest so far. I have too much $ invested not to be cautious so fans are cheap insurance if needed.

I am on the fence about closing up the back or leaving it open. If left open the bottom fan will mix up and move the air around, while the upper fan is an exhaust since heat rises.
If I close in the cabinet back, the fans not become a more critical factor since outside air entering from the back is restricted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Correction 86 degrees was with front door ajar and with it closed the temperature increased to 89 degrees, still not bad.
As you can see its under construction so most components are not installed yet. I put in the essential components and the center appeared to be hottest so far. I have too much $ invested not to be cautious so fans are cheap insurance if needed.

I am on the fence about closing up the back or leaving it open. If left open the bottom fan will mix up and move the air around, while the upper fan is an exhaust since heat rises.
If I close in the cabinet back, the fans not become a more critical factor since outside air entering from the back is restricted.
I would think the fans would be more efficient with the back closed and some intake holes/slots on the bottom of the cabinet to draw fresh air from. I really don't think you need fans on the bottom and the back based on the temps you have observed. However like you said the price is negligible for the peace of mind an extra fan will give you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think was the best forum to post this question.

I have several question concerning the removal of heat build up within a wooden cabinet that stores my stereo equipment. The cabinet has 3 separate compartments and I do not want to cut vent holes within the internal walls. Therefore, I am looking for an intake/exhaust thermal controlled fax system for each (3) compartment.

Looking at the AC Infinity fan systems it appears each cabinet fan system will have a 19 DbA sound rating. Am I correct in thinking that if all 3 fan systems are on at one point, I will have a sound rating of 57 Dba (3 x 19)? If all fans are located in the rear of the cabinet, which will be about 4 inches from the room wall, will 57 DbA noise level be audible from 10 ft away from the front of the cabinet.

I found AC Infinity on the internet so I used them as reference. Are there other manufacturers of cooling fan systems on the market are better or more reliable? Any comments, suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
thanks
Joe
Talk with the experts at Active Thermal Management rather than taking someone's anecdotal suggestions. quiet cooling home page

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, advertise much?
My comments were based on first hand experience with a smaller hotter cabinet .
Didn't mean to trigger you, but unless you are an engineer who works in thermal management, you are just guessing. I happen to know the folks at ATM because I met them at CES when I worked at Mitsubishi and they helped with an ongoing problem. I'm an electrical engineer, but I don't deal in BTUs like these people. Read some of the white papers on their web site. If you don't learn something you didn't know, at least you will not have spent any money. Passing this info along is not advertising, it's trying to add to the discussion.
I'm out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Didn't mean to trigger you, but unless you are an engineer who works in thermal management, you are just guessing. I happen to know the folks at ATM because I met them at CES when I worked at Mitsubishi and they helped with an ongoing problem. I'm an electrical engineer, but I don't deal in BTUs like these people. Read some of the white papers on their web site. If you don't learn something you didn't know, at least you will not have spent any money. Passing this info along is not advertising, it's trying to add to the discussion.
I'm out.
Well the OP said his gear compartment was hitting 89 degrees which is just warm and definitely not hot. I do not need a degree in anything to absolutely know that adding fans will reduce the heat to a close to room temp depending on the fans and their placement. I am not just making anecdotal suggestions regarding a severe heat issue and his problem does not need professional help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts