Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Questions

I used the Enclosure Volume Calculator. Came up with a Total Net Volume 6.495 Ft3
The only difference is that I will be adding a second outer baffle for looks. It will bring down the internal volume by (22.5 * 22.5 * 3)

Can't seem to figure that into the calculations.

Is the box too big? Should I go smaller?

I've tried WinISD and have no idea what I'm doing.

What Kind of performance can I expect with four of these? Will I be in the low teens?

Will they outperform say a SVS PB13 Ultra?

For 100% Ht use what's the goal? 20-80Hz performance? Over 100db?

Should I stuff the boxes? How many pounds do I need?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I was looking at something similar and I will be doing a 22" cube which nets around 4.5 cu ft. With stuffing should be between 5-6 cu ft roughly. I will be running max 750 watts per sub.

Four of these will easily out gun the SVS sub. I worked out 108db at 10hz and 120+ db 20hz and up plus.

Your box I have worked out at 4.8 cu ft net and this is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
That is correct. I think its 1lb of stuffing per 1 cu ft but there is a bit of info I used to have which tells you how much. I will dig it out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Four of these will easily out gun the SVS sub. I worked out 108db at 10hz and 120+ db 20hz and up plus.
WOW! I never expected that.

Your box I have worked out at 4.8 cu ft net and this is perfectly fine.
Good. I think I might leave the dimensions as is if not try your 22" proposal. If the GURU goes 22" then I may need to reconsider lol

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Yeah I've worked out 750 watts per driver so 3000 watts total and excursion is reached until 10hz and even at 5hz its only a few mm over so within xmech by miles. You will have lots of fun with these for sure.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
You will lose about 1/2 db at 10hz and nothing at 40hz and up. Looking at it again it looks good up to 1000 watts input power based on the size of the box being smaller than the required 6 cu ft which is recommended on the SI website.

I have left mine at 750 watts just to be safe.

On a 4.5 cu ft box max excursion is reached at 6.7hz. That is obviously without stuffing which you can't be 100% accurate on so I would model on this.

You can go with either the 22 or 22.5" boxes mate. Both will be fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to be 100% sure...

Cutout: 16.7" <<<< Inner Baffle
OD: 18.5" <<<< Outer Baffle

Those are the correct measurements for the cutouts correct?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Thats correct indeed. I would double check when you have made the cutouts by laying the outer baffle on the inner baffle and lay the sub in place to check before you glue them together.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the beasts made it to Canada safely :)
Didn't think I'd have them for another week or two but picked them up tonight.
I never thought they were as big as they actually are.
Going to get my boxes ordered tomorrow!!!

Only opened one of the boxes. 3 more to go! :bigsmile:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I usually cut my baffle at least 1.5 bigger than the OD of the speaker. This gives you some room for your fingers to lift them out.

For reference on the SI 18 I cut my outer baffle at 20.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts