Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once these are released I'm looking at getting a pair of these each in a sealed 10 cubic foot to 13 cubic foot enclosure. I currently have two FTW 21's subs each in a 7 cubic foot box. I'm hoping these will be a sizable upgrade in terms of performance.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
They will have more displacement for sure. And hopefully they wont NEED to be in such large cabinets either. I do look forward to seeing the 24's Klippel tested and then we will have some designs to start playing with. The current IB sub looks alright in large sealed but would still suggest IB only for that sub.

That being said are you just wanting to go with a huge woofer?(the reasoning why you are going with a 24" instead of 18's)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They will have more displacement for sure. And hopefully they wont NEED to be in such large cabinets either. I do look forward to seeing the 24's Klippel tested and then we will have some designs to start playing with. The current IB sub looks alright in large sealed but would still suggest IB only for that sub.

That being said are you just wanting to go with a huge woofer?(the reasoning why you are going with a 24" instead of 18's)
Yeah I just like huge woofers and big speakers. The bigger, the better in my opinion. I'm waiting on performance tests for this driver before I purchase. I've thought about going with four to 8 18's but I've seen some people state the SI 18's have excellent midbass but don't always hit the lower frequencies with authority. I would like to keep my FTW 21's and the SI 24's for a 5.4 system however it all depends on their final price.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I have yet to hear about anyone saying the SI can't hit low notes well. And with four or more of anything and EQ low notes are not a problem. I think all the SI lineup excel at low frequencies and not much at all can compare for the money. I know of one woofer that excels at low frequency better and that is the XXX. But add in the price and your back at a few 18s vs one. Now with the new 24 price you can have a MiniDSP 24" woofer vs a single XXX. 24 wins that contest.

I think if you have the space then multiple sealed 15s or 18s are the answer for ULF. If you are limited on space then a single or single pair of 24s would be the answer. For me being space limited I am wanting the 24s. Shipping is killer for me. So multiple speakers, such as 4-8, is not affordable.

I think with any of the SI speakers you will be happy with their midbass and ULF capabilities. Add in EQ and its up to you for your desires. Their is definitely enough displacement. :D

Now if we could just get a worldwide low flat rate for shipping we would all have SI speakers. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What do you use to power your 21's? I saw you were interested in a pair of SI HT 24's yourself over at AVS. Is there a reason why? Are your 21's not giving you the output you are looking for. Do you know what the max output they have put out for you?

Also, I don't understand why you say don't have a lot of space so you prefer to use larger drivers such as the 21's. I used to have two CHT 18.2 subs and each sub had a smaller footprint than the wide, girthy boxes I have for my 21's.

It seems like if you were trying to save space, going with two towers of double 18's would be the best solution for you.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
For me space is a premium but shipping prices are even more of a worry. So with four 18's you are looking at a bigger cabinet and shipping that costs a lot more than with two woofers.

I also want a subwoofer that can do 3hz-100hz with at least 110db potential. SO while a pair of 21's wont get there adding just another pair, depending on room gain, will get me there. I am using a single bridged Crest amp for my single 21 now. I got rid of the other amp I had powering the other 21. For music the single 21 is great but for movies I need a minimum of four for my liking. I would prefer to go with a bunch of drivers over a few but add in shipping and this doubles the price. My 21's were a bargain but thats another story.

I really like what Nick is doing with the SI lineup and I would really like to make the change over to a pair of 24's in 6cuft each for my main L/R sub. Then the 21's can be moved.

For me a pair of 21's is the start of happiness. I planned on four in the beginning but other issues came up. So for now it is only an idea about the 24's. Sound awesome and maybe exactly what I am looking for. BUT will have to wait.

Nick do you know if there will be any new international shipping rates?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I am hoping for 10db of gain but we will see. Still waiting on the Umik from MiniDSP. Also have to work on a few other things. PLUS it would be nice if my walls weren't giving me 95db rattles also. :D

BUT WITH my ambitions I am going to use a brute force approach. SO 24's would be greatly appreciated. And if I need to add more woofers down the road then so be it. JUST want to see the final specs with these ported versions come out soon.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
I am hoping for 10db of gain but we will see. Still waiting on the Umik from MiniDSP. Also have to work on a few other things. PLUS it would be nice if my walls weren't giving me 95db rattles also. :D

BUT WITH my ambitions I am going to use a brute force approach. SO 24's would be greatly appreciated. And if I need to add more woofers down the road then so be it. JUST want to see the final specs with these ported versions come out soon.
Curious what your room size is. I'm looking at doing a pair of sealed 15's in a ~2300 cu.ft. room, maybe going to 4 of them later. Between pipe organ music and movies, I'd like to have useable output at least down to 10Hz or so. I also have several pesky room modes below 70Hz, so I'm hoping multiples can help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me space is a premium but shipping prices are even more of a worry. So with four 18's you are looking at a bigger cabinet and shipping that costs a lot more than with two woofers.

I also want a subwoofer that can do 3hz-100hz with at least 110db potential. SO while a pair of 21's wont get there adding just another pair, depending on room gain, will get me there. I am using a single bridged Crest amp for my single 21 now. I got rid of the other amp I had powering the other 21. For music the single 21 is great but for movies I need a minimum of four for my liking. I would prefer to go with a bunch of drivers over a few but add in shipping and this doubles the price. My 21's were a bargain but thats another story.

I really like what Nick is doing with the SI lineup and I would really like to make the change over to a pair of 24's in 6cuft each for my main L/R sub. Then the 21's can be moved.

For me a pair of 21's is the start of happiness. I planned on four in the beginning but other issues came up. So for now it is only an idea about the 24's. Sound awesome and maybe exactly what I am looking for. BUT will have to wait.

Nick do you know if there will be any new international shipping rates?
Your overall goals sound similar to mine. My previous system was a 7 tower speaker 4 sub system. It was the best bass I've ever heard so I won't settle for less now. I plan on having four subs again by the end of next year along with a new 7 channel all tower speaker setup. I don't do anything below a "small" 15" woofer in my system and I don't believe in small surround speakers either. I like room crushing midbass from all four corners of my room.

I know the SI 24's could be the final piece to my puzzle once I'm done purchasing a few more tower speakers. I like the idea of having 4 additional 18's again, but they just don't have the wow factor that large drivers such as the SI 24 hold to me. And that's important for a guy like me who loves massive, intimidating equipment.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Curious what your room size is. I'm looking at doing a pair of sealed 15's in a ~2300 cu.ft. room, maybe going to 4 of them later. Between pipe organ music and movies, I'd like to have useable output at least down to 10Hz or so. I also have several pesky room modes below 70Hz, so I'm hoping multiples can help.
I am always on the extreme side of things I guess. I have a 1800cuft room roughly. BUT with a massive window acting as a Hpass it doesnt help. Also my room is not an enclosed area so I have many obstacles to overcome. I used to have a few 15's before but wanted more. I was going to go with eight 15's using SI but shipping costs ended that endeavor. Eight 15's would have satisfied me and using small enclosures would have been nice. SO now to hopefully try again for bass bliss and utilize these new 24's. :D And to be honest 7hz is as low as I want to go on certain movies and even 10hz will do 95% of the time.
Your overall goals sound similar to mine. My previous system was a 7 tower speaker 4 sub system. It was the best bass I've ever heard so I won't settle for less now. I plan on having four subs again by the end of next year along with a new 7 channel all tower speaker setup. I don't do anything below a "small" 15" woofer in my system and I don't believe in small surround speakers either. I like room crushing midbass from all four corners of my room.

I know the SI 24's could be the final piece to my puzzle once I'm done purchasing a few more tower speakers. I like the idea of having 4 additional 18's again, but they just don't have the wow factor that large drivers such as the SI 24 hold to me. And that's important for a guy like me who loves massive, intimidating equipment.
I definitely like your thinking. Being in OZ just make things take a lot longer because of higher prices is all. Well that and my need to make large outdoor subs. :rofl2: Someday I will stop with this crazy bass madness and have what I want. I just have to try everything first before I can settle on something. lol

Either way SI has definitely made an impact and made it possible for some to finally have the bass they have been searching for.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I did have a quick question. Can the IB 24" subwoofer be used in a sealed box? If not, why? I still don't completely understand what designates this driver for IB use only? I remember something about the suspension system for an IB driver being different. What would happen if someone tried using it in a sealed box instead of a general IB enclosure?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I will have to look again at the specs but I believe this driver liked 30cuft or larger. BUT in saying that some IB subwoofers can be used in very large cabinets. Another member I know used to have a pair of 18's in, I believe, it was 128cuft.

I would try and explain what every parameter means so that you can understand why it is used in an IB application instead but I usually just confuse others. Most woofers that like very large cabinets can work in IB applications. But a lot more goes into an IB subwoofer than just a QTS number and suspension parts. I will wait a few and see if Nick chimes in.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I saw that also a while ago and wondered if anyone would try it out. I tried some 15's that were clones and did not like them at all. BUT they cost $300 for the pair of them and I was willing to take that chance. The 24" I might try also and I heard it was going to cost around 500 dollars each delivered. BUT who knows.

I will wait till you get four of them and see how you like them. LOL

PLUS I am curious whom it comes from. All the pictures are fake, regarding factory, and I wondered if Johnson has these at Sanway.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got a email response from SI. They stated their IB 24" sub can be used in a 10 ft^3 sealed enclosure. I wonder if this might be the most cost effective route for me to go. I don't give a rat's behind about uber output below 20hz. I am mainly concerned with prodigious output from 20hz and up. If these are substantially cheaper than the HT version then I will most likely the IB subs instead.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Well I just typed a long reply to only have it deleted by Mozilla. ARRGGHH.

Anyways three 18's is the same output at 20hz as the 24. Both are in 10cuft and both are about the same price. The 18's walk away from the 24 from 35hz and up and they have a slight 1/2db edge over the 24" at 10hz. If only needing 20hz performance you could also have a horned sub and outperform them both on a lot less wattage.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I just typed a long reply to only have it deleted by Mozilla. ARRGGHH.

Anyways three 18's is the same output at 20hz as the 24. Both are in 10cuft and both are about the same price. The 18's walk away from the 24 from 35hz and up and they have a slight 1/2db edge over the 24" at 10hz. If only needing 20hz performance you could also have a horned sub and outperform them both on a lot less wattage.
I was definitely interested in a horn design for my subs. But the boxes are huge, expensive, and very heavy from what ive seen online at Ricci's site.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
4ftx3ftx2ft(MW) or 45x45x24(Ghorn) or Bill's THT at 36x36x24. BUT expensive they are not. Quality plywood and a $99 dollar subwoofer or up to a $1000 for the subwoofer. I prefer the cheaper models.:D

MY MW cost me about 575 dollars and that used expensive 120 dollars a sheet marine plywood. And because of the shipping price the $99 dollar woofer cost me 250.For you in the USA the MW would cost about 250-350 including finish.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4ftx3ftx2ft(MW) or 45x45x24(Ghorn) or Bill's THT at 36x36x24. BUT expensive they are not. Quality plywood and a $99 dollar subwoofer or up to a $1000 for the subwoofer. I prefer the cheaper models.:D

MY MW cost me about 575 dollars and that used expensive 120 dollars a sheet marine plywood. And because of the shipping price the $99 dollar woofer cost me 250.For you in the USA the MW would cost about 250-350 including finish.
What is a mw? I am interested in something similar to the othorn build by lukeamd over at avsforum.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts