·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be short...

1. What I have:
Receiver: Sony DA2400ES
Sub amp: Behringer NU1000DPS
Speakers: 4x B&W 601 S2 as satelites, central to come later...
House:)

2. What I need to figure out:
Location for sub (I'll use just one sub, maybe much later I will add more, so i have to place it wisely)
Attached picture shows how its gonna look like in my house (just a raw model), and A, B and C came up to my mind as a possible locations (I know that corners are best, so C as coffee table is not ideal)
Enclosure fro sub. I have Stereo Integrity HT18 driver and a lot of choices. Currently I'm considering:
A. FullMarty vertical (A or B location).
B. Sonosub, I guess it can be 2m high max, around 60cm wide.
C. Lilwrecker / Microwrecker / The Eminence Horn (volvotreter) / Gjallarhorn / or any other horn enclosure, that can be high with moderate footprint.
D. maybe sealed sonosub? or any other advices?:)

3. What I want:
Subwoofer, that plays deep and clear, don't need extreme loudness, prefer purity and depth.
50/50 music and movies.

Any advices appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you already own a subwoofer you should do the subwoofer crawl to determine what is the best location for your subwoofer sound quality wise. Then once you know where you have to put it you then build and enclosure that will work well in this area. Unfortunately the best location is almost never the location where it look the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!! Great idea with the crawl:)
Now I need to figure out the enclosure. Imho, i can fit any type, the most important factor is that what would you guys recommend for that room... relatively large and open... :-/

·
Registered
248 Posts
In a large open room going sealed could result in a lack of output or overhead. It's better to go with multiple sealed in this case. Since you're planning on getting only one subwoofer for now I recommend going for a ported design since it provide better bang for the buck output wise.

I've read good stuff about the Marty subwoofer but I've never heard one myself. If you can accomodate the size of LLT subwoofer a SI HT18 in LLT ported enclose could be a good match with your inuke 1000. You might even be good to go without highpass filter if you tune low enough.

Just have a read at this thread it might help you set your mind:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/1820-llt-explained.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply:) So i read through the LLT thread and it looks great for both low tuned Full Marty or Sonosub.
But I'm still curious about what Lil wrecker or other horn type sub would do in room.
So I' still hoping that someone would be so kind and give some advice/ideas...
Looking forward for any answers :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for the reply:) So i read through the LLT thread and it looks great for both low tuned Full Marty or Sonosub. But I'm still curious about what Lil wrecker or other horn type sub would do in room. So I' still hoping that someone would be so kind and give some advice/ideas... Looking forward for any answers :)

Horns? Horns play massive spl and and be played very low with smaller drivers and minimal power. But they are very difficult to build. Look up some horn builds in this thread. You can learn a whole lot..

Your room looks pretty big. Most here will agree on a ported option for you. Also you said size is no matter? Put sonosubs in the corners. You can tune them lower then a normal llt box without destroying your room with a huge ugly
Box, you don't take up near as much real estate. Not saying Sonos are pretty either but.. You get what I mean .Plus they are by far the easiest/cheapest way to build one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for the reply:) So i read through the LLT thread and it looks great for both low tuned Full Marty or Sonosub.
But I'm still curious about what Lil wrecker or other horn type sub would do in room.
So I' still hoping that someone would be so kind and give some advice/ideas...
Looking forward for any answers :)
Sono subs are really easy to build. They sound good too! With the HT18, I'll even try an LLT if you have the room.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts