Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just investigating the possibility of using a freight forwarder to get a SI HT18.

Does anyone know the shipping height or weight?

More importantly would be the box size, as I can guess the weight based on the driver weight.

Cheers
Mike
New Zealand

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
21 x 23 x 14 in
42lbs

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll be using an iNuke 3000DSP

Trying to decide between:

Dayton UM18-22 via Ebay for $674 NZD
GBL GT01514 $138 NZD (local)
JBL GT5-15 15" $109 NZD (local)
Infinity 1260w $76 NZD (local)

I'd much prefer to build something with a single driver!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Single driver I would go with the SI. JBL GT is a nice driver also but not an 18". So you would have to buy more of them to equal the SI. Model the different woofers and see which response you like better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you can find cheap jbl 15" then you might move more air with them (liter/$).

I have a IB subwoofer using eight JBL GTO1514 and I have eight SI HT18 on the way.
In Denmark one JBL GTO1514 will cost me about 1000kr (danish kroner aka danish money) when I bay in bulk.
One SI HT18 is 1850kr (when doing Google to conversion use DKK for danish kroner)
Prices including shipping and tax.

One JBL GTO1514 will move 1,2liter air one way (for a total off 9,6 liter when using eight) and one SI HT18 will move 2,67liter air one way (for a total off 21,36liter one way when using eight).

JBL GTO1514 cost 833kr (127usd) per liter moving air (one way).
SI HT18 cost 693kr (105,7usd) per liter moving air (one way).
So HT18 saves me 140kr (21,35usd) per liter air

But that is in Denmark, you may be able to buy cheaper subwoofer speakers then what I can in Denmark.
I used a reshipping service, and that cut shipping to half. Now they (HT18´s) are on a boat towards Denmark.

So the way I see it, it all comes down to how much it will cost you in shipping and tax for one SI HT18.

(The HT18 will go in big sealed enclosure, and JBL GTO1514 will be sold off. I be moving my cinema room and the new place will not hold a IB subwoofer)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Btw. if you can, then never ever do subwoofers with just one speaker!
Use at least two opposed for cancel out the speakers mechanical force.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I have chatted with Nick(SI) many times now and I feel better about supporting a company that I know has the same goals in a product that I do. I also know I can always get support from him when I need it. He has been great to work with and I cant say enough good thing about him.

UM is a great driver also. I prefer the SI because I know many that have them and beat the crud out of them and no issues. I think you would be fine with either but the SI is a awesome bargain.

Why not just buy a pair of 24's? :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup my local prices are:

JBL GTO1514 15" is $138 @ store
Specs: http://www.jbl.com/resources/brands/.../gto1514td.pdf

JBL GTP5-15 15" is $119 @ store
Specs: http://soundgroup.co.nz/sites/defaul...Parameters.pdf

Infinity 1260W 12" $76 @ store
Specs: http://eu.infinitysystems.com/tl_fil...260W_PI_EN.pdf

I initially thought about doing a sealed vertical subwoofer tower with 4 12" drivers on the front (and possibly another 4 in the rear)

^ like this but 4 drivers high, and drivers in the front and back.

Now I'm leaning towards a sonotube build because I have a router, but no other equipment. This means I'd have to buy a table saw or mitre saw/jig saw + a guide, which means extra cost and I'm not sure how good I'll be at cutting perfectly square pieces of MDF to make a cabinet.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I can use a router to cut everything from straight to curved. Just take your time and dont go deeper than needed each pass. I like the JBL's but not a big fan of the infinity. I think to do a 8 driver 1260 cabinet would be very large for the size drivers you have.

For the money I would do a quad JBL GTO subwoofer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Can you please explain, Why are you not a fan of the infinity? Why should i go for the JBL?

Here is a graph of the drivers in sealed configuration.

The cost of the setup would be

Quad 1260W = $304

Dual GTO1514 = $268

The advantage of a dual GTO1514, would be that I could do a sonotube arrangement which is easier to build, with the 1260W I think I need to pack more than 2 drivers into each sub which means it's not ideal for sonotube. The sonotube seems to be quite pricey in comparison to MDF. The sonotube will be close to $200, whereas the MDF cost is 3660x1220x18mm = $120 / 3660x1220x25mm = $200.

What are your thoughts?

NB: This is to go with an inuke3000dsp, although I could stretch for an inuke 6000dsp if required.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can use a router to cut everything from straight to curved. Just take your time and dont go deeper than needed each pass. I like the JBL's but not a big fan of the infinity. I think to do a 8 driver 1260 cabinet would be very large for the size drivers you have.

For the money I would do a quad JBL GTO subwoofer.
Well I was thinking that if I was building a cabinet then it would be 3" narrower using 12" drivers compared to 15" drivers. I'm not quite fussed on height as long as it's <1.5m, but I guess that only 3" wider for almost half the height (bc half the # of drivers) is probably pretty good too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have build 2 subwoofers with 1260 for my farther.

Each in an sealed enclosure of 50 liter and with a 300watt plateamp.
Eq using a minidsp.

They sound great, I do think that it is a hard driver to beat.

4 of them would be enough for most people.

Both 1260 and GTO1514 are fine drivers.

Build a dual opposed sub with either one.
Use one channel of a Inuke wit DSP.
If needed a a second sub on the free channel.

Then you can take it slowly in steeps.
How low and loud do you want it? Have you heard a store bought subwoofer you want to match?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
The JBL and 1260 want larger cabinets if tuned that low. If using the 1260 I would use it in a horn. If using sealed then go with whatever your budget can fit and spl wants are.

I dont know why I dont like the 1260, but when comparing a pair of them to my single Alpine Type S 15 the Alpine sounded better to me. The JBL would be my first bet because I have heard a pair of those also and liked them. BUT this is only my opinion. I dont see a problem using either of them I just didnt like the 1260 in my setup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't heard any good commercial subs. I spent quite a bit on my amp and speakers so i want a sub that can keep up with my other gear and is not a "bottleneck". My amp is pioneer sclx87 and my speakers are Wharfedale Jade 7 fronts (dual 8" woofers 6.5" midwoofer 3" mid 1" tweeter) and jade 5 rear (2x 6.5" + 3" + 2") and jade 2c center (4×5.25" + 3" + 1").

I want the sub for movies. With music i think my fronts have enough low extension already.

With the ported volumes im trying to compromise a bit on the size which means the sealed might have a slight advantage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is someone in Wellington where i live with dual svs pc13. I should probably see if i can visit him. Would a dual gto1514 sealed compete with a single ported svs pc13? Is there a win isd graph for that i can compare with? I think that sub is tuned to 13 or 15 with all ports open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts