Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to build a new cabinet based on my MFW15 clone for my new SI15 that I won from here. I am not too smart on WIN ISD so I would love some help. I would just like to tweak the dimensions and plans I have for the MFW clone. I have built 2 already. Unless someone thinks another design is better. I will power it with a Inuke DSP 3000. I figure this should be a improvement over the original MFW15.

The original mfw clone specs are :

Port Dimensions 1 1/2" X 44 1/2"

Internal Volume 2.75-2.9 Cubic feet. Out side is about 3 cubic feet.

Here is my old build starting on page 3 or 4

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1290649/mfw-15-clone-project

Of course I will be documenting the progress here.

My goal would be to make this for exclusive HT usage.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
for a ported box that's REALLY small. that thing can do much much better in a much larger box... especially in ported environment... you lose a full 8 + db JUST from decreasing from a 10-12 cu ft box down to something that small. while the MFW sub was nice it used a much lower end driver and thus could get away with a smaller box (add also into the fact retail subs compromise the ability of the sub by trying to fit drivers into compact boxes that ship well).

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with that. I also know that I cant fit a 10 cubic ft box in my living room either ;) I have to compromise with the wife. I have 2 MFW's in my living room now so I can do one slightly larger with the new driver I can smooth it over... by pulling the other 2 out. Until I have a dedicated theater room one day.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
I agree with that. I also know that I cant fit a 10 cubic ft box in my living room either ;) I have to compromise with the wife. I have 2 MFW's in my living room now so I can do one slightly larger with the new driver I can smooth it over... by pulling the other 2 out. Until I have a dedicated theater room one day.
put a lamp on top of it.... now it's a 10 cu ft end table :D

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
That would be about 5.4 cu.ft. net volume, a big difference in low end output compared to 2.75 cu.ft.
much bigger difference. in a 2.9 cu ft box you would be SERIOUSLY hampering this things ability. the 5.4 cu ft box would give you a lot more to play with , even though it's not as big a box as these monsters like.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never intended to stick this in the MFW15 box... I want to build a bigger box with a slot port. Something 'similiar' to the MFW....I agree the 3 cubic ft box would be too small.

I am just looking for a optimum size.

So I just wonder how long the slot should be and how wide it should be 2inches wide by 50 inches long ? in a 5.5 cuft enclosure? I have no idea how to model in win isd.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
okay so the slot at 1.5 inches by 40 inches long is good to go .... I will need to figure out what kind of bracing and make sure I take that into account.

If I build the box with 3/4 mdf , should I use 3/4 inch for the slot or is 1/2 inch acceptable ? or should I just use all 3/4 inch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts