Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a passive SWI acoustat sub for cheap : it is a two channels sub (so 2 pairs of 6 inches woofers). I heard it with acoustat pannels : it is fast and adds a great dimension at the bottom of frequencies.
I want to use it for music and a fast sub is a must with my magnepan (if not very fast ... no sub is better).

I have a preamp with two sets of output.
I also have a spare amp (200 W/Channels in 4 oHms).
Now what I would like to do is set the whole thing (the sub) in mono.

Can I use a "Y" adaptor at the output of the preamp (to get one channel mono) and than send it to a EQ from which another "Y" would split the signal at the output in two channels mono (so the sub would become mono because the 2 pairs of speakers would work in mono) ?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Its not always a good idea to short the stereo output by attaching the two together as this can cause issues and even damage. There is rarely low end information that is in stereo anyhow. Just take the left output and run it to the EQ and then if you want split the signal into left and right.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Tony is correct in that you don't want to attempt to mix your L/R outputs by using a simply Y cable at the RCA (or XLR, as the case may be) outputs.

I did essentially what you are describing using a small Peavey mixer to mix L/R to mono, then ran it through my BFD for sub EQ. I also applied a makeshift LPF using the BFD, at about 40Hz, and let my front mains run full range. The makeshift LPF was created using a bunch of remaining PEQ filters from the BFD; it was not a true LPF, though it acted as one.

I received a Behringer DCX2496 for Christmas, and find it to be a much more appropriate tool. It will mix signals, apply whatever LPF you want, apply PEQ as needed, then send that mono signal out of two separate outputs, with which you can feed your sub amp for your dual subs. I think the DCX2496 is just what you want.

I think my wife got mine for $230 shipped at Amazon.

Good luck!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That seems like THE perfect solution and affordable as well since I needed to buy an EQ as well for this project
Many thanks

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
That's a short - not allowed....... Y-Adapters are for splitting, not mixing...

brucek
Do you know of any preamps that would care? Think about it, Bruce.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
That seems like THE perfect solution and affordable as well since I needed to buy an EQ as well for this project
Many thanks
Great! Good luck with it and let me know if you need any help. The PC software that controls it is essential IMHO. You can download it form the Behringer site and play with it without actually having the DCX2496 attached.

Have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts