Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Please post where you bought these suspect chips so that others do not make the same mistake. Did you contact the vendor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the first set of STK392-110's from the vendor "coverlink" on Ebay. I'm not going to contact them with complaints because I cannot be 100% sure that I didn't cause the problem I was having. When I first installed these IC's I only changed the one on the red convergence side (IC804) and the corresponding 1.5 ohm resistor for red horizontal (the channel that was non responsive).

Since the blue and green were still working perfectly, I figured I might be able to get away with less work by changing just one IC. It was probably a newbie mistake and very likely could have caused damage to the new IC.

Anyway, the new STK392-110 had continued to blow the 1.5 ohm resistor on the red horizontal channel, so my next step was to change the other IC. After changing that IC, I still replicated the same results and became frustrated.

Since finding the used STK392-150's and changing both IC's and the resistor all at once resulted in success, I'd say it's fairly likely that I damaged the STK392-110's. However, it could have easily been DOA chips as well, since these chips from Ebay were only $7.68 after shipping and were sent from China. I should mention to everyone here that most of the Chinese vendors on Ebay have taken to misleading titles in their ads for these chips and listing them all as SANYO chips.

Thanks again for all the help this thread has provided.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The -150 is always a better shoice than the -110, IME, assuming good quality parts.

There are lots of cheap knock-offs of most parts coming out of china. It is making every type of repair very difficult.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts