Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated in my introduction message, I am about to start building a house on the Gold Coast and have attached the plan of what will be the main theatre.

My plans for equipment at present include a Z4 projector, main media centre PC to output directly to projector, external storage using 4 x 500Gb Drives in raid 1, background media centre server to hold movie database and stream media to 5 XBox 360's around house. Need ideas on speakers (7.1) and amplification for the room roughly 19' 10" by 14' 8".

I checked these dimensions with the spreadsheet for room dynamics and I cannot find the file at the moment, but it showed only 4 problem frequencies spread equally throughout the full range. Although that did not take into account the small increase in width near the door, I am hoping acoustic panels will sort that out!

All the equipment is in the Electrical Room next to the media room, with cabling entering from the space under the stairs. Soundcheck plasterboard is used throughout the media room and an external firedoor is being used for the entrance to the theatre.

I have opted for cable strung lighting to minimise holes in the room and plan to fill the rear riser with glass fibre insulation, allowing a small access panel for power sockets for two rows of 4 seater powered recliners, one on the raised section and one in front of it.

I will use a fixed projector screen of around 100" 16:9 with felt or similar frame covering.

Colour will be dark tan or brown with dark ceiling.

Media centre will utilise the home automation add in for lighting control.

Any advice on equipment selection, and all the things I have surely missed out, would be extremely welcome.

I would prefer wall mount rear and side effect speakers and would like to buil in the LCR speakers and sub(s) to a fixture around the screen, would building in the subs affect their perfomance?

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping for decent speakers to around A$5000, and about the same for amplifiers, equalisers etc.

Whats IB?

Store would be great location, no room in electrical room and this theatre is on the ground floor with my library above it so no attic!

I chose the Z4 after reading the reviews, I still have to test one in a demo room but they look good for the price, and they are easy to get over here in Aus, so service etc is easy.

Also, does anyone know who will set up the projector once it is fitted in Australia, my Epson took ages by eye and I am still not happy with it.

Nice to be involved with a forum from near its beginnings, keep up the good work, you certainly know what you are talking about, I still have to learn about house curves etc :dontknow:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sonnie, I would prefer to buy equipment sold in Australia as I have come across to many (japan especially) territorial warranties where you have to send the item back to the country you purchased it from.

Freight is expensive to here, it costs about $60 to receive a 15" LCD TV from Japan.

We can get most makes but items like SV Subwoofers, I think can only be imported from the states.

Our CE stores like Harvey Norman etc are useless as they prefer to sell HT in a box items, not so much seperates like amplifiers or speakers.

I wanted surround speakers to be multi spacial (if thats a word) as the speaker will be placed in between the two rows of seats.

Looked into IB Subs, they say the only draw back is lack of damping being in free air and resulting loss of detail, have you come across that?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankis for the advice, when I start building I wil start a new thread to document what is going on.

The equipment you have stated looks great, I might have to increase my budget 3 or 4 fold though, the Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 looks nice, but is the 600 watts RMS or total?.

Thanks RodN for the link for SVS gear, I wil have to seriously consider their subs and have two cylindrical in each corner if that works out OK. Trying not to cut holes in walls for soundproofing reasons so I will have to have free standing subs.

I will look at Klipsch speakers as they have a good presence in Aus.

By the way, how loud do you play your systems, I am always worried about the neighbours where I am presently, no soundproofing and several large single glazed windows. I don't think I have maxed out the pioneer thats rated at 5 x 120W RMS + 100W sub

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hooray, the house we have been waiting to sell has gone unconditional so we are now waiting for the first week of June to start the construction process.

This has lifted a large weight of our chests.

The RM30's look interesting, but I am looking at JB Labs or Teufel that provide dipole surrounds to produce THX certification on 7.? systems.

Does anyone think THX is important in a home theatre?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Huh?! IB Subs are for detail explicity. Damping *distorts* sound.
I thought that the reason you used multiple subs in an IB was because of the non damping issue and heat, also, don't most newer boxed subs have some form of mechnical damping system as well to produce a tighter cleaner bass sound?

I thought this system was the same as having gas struts on a car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would love an IB but i don't want to start having to sound proof extra rooms.

I have decided on the attached plan as the way ahead, we move into rented accomodation next week so everything is on plan.

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The electrical room will house all the servers, components, cabling etc, the only spare room is next to that under the stairs.

I am using cinemazone plasterboard and off centre spaced joists to try and soundproof the theatre well, I have chosen trapeze lighting to reduce the amount of holes in the ceiling and walls.

The riser will be 4 x 8 sheets of 1/2" marine ply, with a second layer at right angles to cover any joints screwed down. Probably use glass fibre insulation to pack the riser rather than sand.

Should I board the entire floor or leave concrete with underlay and carpet?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Quoting http://hometheatermag.com/bootcamp/140/index1.html

An additional benefit of a raised wood subfloor is that it absorbs some low frequencies, which is good. Otherwise, these frequencies just reflect off of the original concrete floor. A wood floor also vibrates with low frequencies, to some extent, creating a more-tactile experience. A raised floor that has at least a 3- or 4-inch air space under it will vibrate even more. This technique is used in the screening rooms at Lucasfilm and Dolby Labs. Anthony's and Russ' clients like the added low-frequency feeling as the subwoofer's bass energy transfers through the floor.
This has always stuck in my ind since reading the article several months ago.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There is a commercially available DVD Storeage system that is using the premise that you can store your DVD's for personal use - Same as DVD Shrink users use.

The problem is you have to convert the ifo's to a wmv file to stream to XBox extenders as they do not permit plain dvd files being streamed.

Software like HAI control for media centre and homeseer will let you control X10 and ther similar technologies from with in the MCE interface.

I think that HIA has a product that can use standard remote codes to other equipment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Unfortunately there is no dealer in Oz for these, they look good though for in-walls, ruled out IB due to lack of room/soundproofing issues so will probably resort to Jamo D6 7.2 system, should fit my budget and they are quite inconspicous when wall mounted.

I'm going to use only HTPC for HT, running through seperate amplification, the soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 has THX certification so if I stay with THX certified amplifiers I should have a cheap THX certified Theatre :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Things looked like they where about to start last Thursday, but the digger was reqired somewhere else and now its raining.

Should have the slab down by end of next week.

I consoled my self by ordering the two rows of theatre chairs when I found these at Amart, salesman gave me 10% off even though the sale was on floorstock only and not ordered goods. They will be delivered end of September, just have to find somewhere to store them.

Full leather, 4 seater with storage and cup holders in the arm rests for AU$2250 a piece. Had to sacrifice the electric recliners as they added AU$2550 a row.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It is illegal to store a taped tv program on a VHS cassette in Australia, but they haven't banned the use of them. We have a huge movement requesting fair use to be introduced in to digital content provisions over here at the moment.

How can products like the MAX Multimedia Server, Media Centre PC's or any of the DVR's out there be allowed to exist when they are only used for the storage of copyrighted content.

There is always someone that can only keep chirping about it is illegal to copy your own DVD's, that may be so, but the time is already changing that it is legal to store a copy of the original if it is not in the same format, eg ripping CD's to MP3, or DVD's to WMV, why do you think Microsoft won't allow the XBox 360 to play DVD's from the server, but it will allow WMV versions to play or Itunes allows you to convert your CD's.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
That's why you can't use Windows XP Media Center to rip a DVD movie; it has to be in the drive to play (as far as I can tell).
The XBox 360 requires the DVD to be in the drive, MCE will alow you to rip the DVD to any format, including copying ifo's and it will play them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I know it is not a home builders forum but we are one step closer to our home theatre.

The foundations are set and the frame should be up soon. We have Boral cinema zone for the sound insulation which should be interesting as it goes up. Will keep you posted

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Framework has started to go up and the theatre is looking better. I have attached pics of the door, inside the theatre and the small electrical room that will house all the AV and computer gear.

Calling around daily now to see the progress.

One side note, the other half went into a store the other day and wanted to buy pictures with abstract saxophone and other instruments on them, I mentioned this is a theatre and not an audiophile listening setup. Now I have to shop for turntable, amp, speakers etc for a dedicated two channel setup side by side with the theatre :R

Should have the electrican and cabler round in the next couple of weeks. Everything is on target for Christmas.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Finally drafted the design for the theatre theme, trying to keep it uncluttered and contemporary

Also, found a couple of figures for the alcoves either side of the screen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.