Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I did a quick look on Ebay's Australia website to see what's available in Australia.. another speaker brand I think you should take a look at is Paradigm. It's the brand I bought when I went through my research process.
I found something online here in Australia.

I also saw that they sell speakers from Monitor, Wharfedale, Tannoy and Polk. All brands that I've heard good things from.

I don't know what small hi-fi shops you might have near you, but I'd take a look in your phone book for some of the small to medium sized stores. Go to as many as you can and audition whatever they have. Speakers are a personal choice, so pick what sounds best to you.

Avoid the big box chains -- they generally don't carry anything in the price range you're looking at.

Also, I may or may not be in the minority with this opinion, but I think your budget ratio between speakers and electronics is off. I'd be inclined to spend more on the speakers than the electronics -- maybe to the tune of 65/35. To me, speakers are the most important part of your sound system, so I'd spend my $$ accordingly.

As for IB subs -- have to admit that I've yet to hear one in person. That being said, every one I've talked to/typed at that's heard an IB sub has always preferred the IB to a traditional box sub. There is more involved with an IB, but they are suppoed sound amazing across the board -- deeper, cleaner, tigher, louder bass. I've drunk the spiked Kool-Aid and will be installing one in my listening room when I start construction. I wish I had more information to give you, but I'm a noob regarding IB's as well. If you haven't been here, I'd give their FAQ a look. Like I said, more involved, and sometimes can't be done, but the end result is supposed to be awesome.

JCD

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Steve Williamson said:
Hooray, the house we have been waiting to sell has gone unconditional so we are now waiting for the first week of June to start the construction process.

This has lifted a large weight of our chests.

The RM30's look interesting, but I am looking at JB Labs or Teufel that provide dipole surrounds to produce THX certification on 7.? systems.

Does anyone think THX is important in a home theatre?
Congratulations on selling your house! I've been there, I know what a huge relief it can be.

As for THX certification, I don't put much stock in it. It guarantees a minimum standard, but not much else. I ignore it almost completely.

Dipole surrounds -- there are some that like them and some that don't. I have them, and if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably NOT get the dipoles. But, that's just me.
They cost more and they seem to be more "picky" about where you put them.

JCD

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'll admit that I'm not sure about the damping issue, but the reason for multiple subs in an IB subwoofer system is that they're not as efficient as a traditional box sub. You usually need to get something like 2 (or more?) drivers in an IB to get the same SPL as a single driver in a regular box sub.

What you're supposed to gain is cleaner, better bass. :sn:

JCD

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
toecheese said:
Nope, the reason is not that they're less efficient- they're more efficient mechanically. It's that we're ignoring half the energy of the speaker- we 'throw away' the derived sound wave.

So, to make up for it, we add in more subs to get our SPL to where we want (I'm still searching for a definitive guide to how much this is).
Toecheese is right -- he said what I meant to say much more clearly. :T

JCD

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Should I board the entire floor or leave concrete with underlay and carpet?
I probably shouldn't even answer this one (I'm a paper pusher after all:D ), but I can't see why you'd need to board the main floor.

JCD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.