Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Last decision before sheetrock on Friday, I have decided on the Jamo D6 7.2 system and need to position the LCR speakers.

In the picture, I cannot decide on the L and R speaker, should it be in position A or B, A has the right distance between them (4mtrs) and it is 4mtrs from the front listening position, but they seem slightly to close to the right wall.

Position B is the recommended >1 mtr from the wall but they are only 2.5mtrs apart.

Which is the best placement?

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Just received the plasma lift for the bedroom ceiling, decided to DIY with a linear actuator and custom cabinet in loft. Couldn't face the price of commercial lifts. The up/down button will interface with the touchscreens to enable a watch TV button.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Steve. I am constructing my home theatre at the moment . I have listened to a lot of speakers over the years and suggest that you check out the Klipsch .I have purched 3,RC25's for the front. Yes , I am using the RC25,s for the L,R,and Centre. 4, RS25,s (dipolar) for the surrounds and made my sub.I could not suggest a ready made sub ,but ,I can highly reccomend Klipsch for the others,They are not too expensive in Aus.Down in Melbourne Encel ,Bridge rd Ritchmond sells them at a fair price.They are the type of spkrs that you would keep for 30 years. kind reguards , alan.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Sort of stuck on using the Jamo's for now, I have heard good reports of the D6 and its larger brother D7.

The room has been plasterboarded and square set ready for painting. We have two layers of 13mm acustic sheeting, furring channel, 90mm studs filled with R2.5 accoustic batting and 10mm board on the living area side. Ordering the perimeter seals for the solid core door built to match the other internal doors.

As soon as the painting is carried out, I can install the new AV cabinetry in the electrical room and cut out the areas for the wiring enclosures for the automation cabling.

Seating should arrive very soon. No where to put it though.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I musta missed your post back in October. It appears you went with position B on the speakers. If this was recommended I would probably do the same.

Won't be long... :R

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I can still go with either position, the speaker cables come out behind the fake wall that the alcoves will be built into, will the 2.5mtr distance between the LR speakers give a suitable soundstage?

I was more leaning to speaker A position and have the two subs where the power cables are exiting the walls.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I think it would depend on how far back you are going to be sitting. Personally I'd suggest whichever placement would give you closer to an even triangular setup. However, with in-walls it may be different. Did the recommendation take into account your main listening position?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The speakers are on wall Jamo D6LCR's, the first seating position is 4 metres back and the second seating position is 6 metres back, this is why I thought the 4 metres distance as per position A would be more suitable than the 2.5 metres as per position B.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Wow, what a drag building a home can seem, only just got to the point of installing the riser and skirting in the theatre, still waiting for the dado to be installed on the walls and ceiling. Painters start next monday so after them, the fun part of fitting off happens. Will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Well here's the progress so far:

Area for mural has been framed, painters will be paiting the flat areas next week

Riser installed and dado around the room so we can seperate the two colors being used. Can't install steps until I know how wide to make them when seats arrive.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Nearly there, we have installed the framework and plaster around the curtain, the speakers arrive monday and the panny AE1000 is sitting in the bulkhead waiting to shine.

Will post more pics next week when everything is installed.

Still using my phone to take pictures unfortunately

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Steve,
I think your ground up theater is looking great......from the looks of the floor plans you really took your time to lay things out..very well done.
Can't wait for a few more pictures

Later
RayJr

·
Senior Shackster
365 Posts
Hooray, the house we have been waiting to sell has gone unconditional so we are now waiting for the first week of June to start the construction process.

This has lifted a large weight of our chests.

The RM30's look interesting, but I am looking at JB Labs or Teufel that provide dipole surrounds to produce THX certification on 7.? systems.

Does anyone think THX is important in a home theatre?
If you only plan to look at movies in this room, dipoles make work okay. However just buying the dipoles with not meet the spec. The dipoles themselves have to be THX certified, as well as the rest of the speaker package and amps as well. THX used to mean something, before it began certifying just about everything(can somebody say VCR's). Where THX is highly useful is their acoustical advice for hometheaters. In this area they have raised the bar on hometheater acoustics, which is what they used to do with equipment before they used their certification as a income stream.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.