Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved up from a 12" ported sub to dual 15" sealed ones (Rythmik). I built the enclosures myself (18w x 21h x 25d made from 3/4" birch). It is internally braced but not rediculously so just a window pane in the middle and a half window pane from the middle to the back. The subs are on a hardwood floor that's on a concrete slab and they have rubber feet. I'm also using the subs as stands for my Atlantic Tech 8200e L/R which add another 53 lbs.

I watched my first film with my new subs last night (Hellboy II on Blu-Ray) and realized that both the subs and my speakers had moved around. I do have a neoprene type pad between the sub and speakers, but I'm wondering what else can be done to lessen/prevent the subs from moving.

Would more bracing make a big difference (if so I'd probably just build new boxes). Also I'm wondering if my 53 lbs speakers don't help keep the subs from moving how much weight would I need to add to the inside to make a difference (100 lbs??:unbelievable:).

What keeps professionally made subs from moving. My Axiom ep-500 never moved.

Would an Auralex subdude help?

Suggestions/Advice please.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Try putting a small, thick rug, or chunk of carpet underneath of each sub. Hard surfaces enable the sub dance easier.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would also try to find out what frequency is causing the sub enclosures to move as well as using the neoprene solution. Once you find the frequency (in hz) in question, you could look for some additional damping solutions. I suspect if it is a very low frequency, additional weight may be part of the solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts