Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just finished building my HTPC and ripped a movie to an iso file. I used VLC media player to play the iso file and it looked great. I don't know if this answers your question or not because I'm still learning as well.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Google DVDShrink rips straight to .vob files with selectable (or no) compression then just open it with something like win DVD or Power DVD and watch away

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Google DVDShrink rips straight to .vob files with selectable (or no) compression then just open it with something like win DVD or Power DVD and watch away
I've used this before, but it seems that DVDShrink won't allow non-compression if the output files are over the standard 4.X gig DVD size... Meaning if it's a 3-hour movie, it's going to compress it to under 5 gig, when storage really isn't the issue. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. :huh:

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
In shrink, you need to select "custom compression ratio", or something like that, and then move the slider all the way to 100%. Really though, you should be using ripit4me or dvd decrypter if you want vobs.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
You have to physically plug the PC into the TV to get video to it. Similarly, you also have to plug the audio signal into the receiver.

My system happens to be hardwired on a 100 Mb backbone, but wireless should work to stream SD-DVD (assuming your data (DVDs) are stored on a server). If it gets glitchy, I'd recommend switching to a wired network. Either way, the method used to get data from the server to the PC is independent of how you'll send the audio and video to their respective devices.

Good luck!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've used this before, but it seems that DVDShrink won't allow non-compression if the output files are over the standard 4.X gig DVD size... Meaning if it's a 3-hour movie, it's going to compress it to under 5 gig, when storage really isn't the issue. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. :huh:
Using Shrink you can try EDIT-PREFERENCES- and from the pulldown you have three options: DVD-5(4.7gb), DVD-9 (8.5 gb) or Custom which should let you specify any size. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I've never had a problem, try the above first then if it doesn't work go (after putting in a DVD) highlight it all - compression - no compression. That should work i did this from memory so it may be a bit off

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Another possibility would be to decrypt your dvd to an iso image as mentioned before, then use daemon tools to mount it for playback. DTools allows for simple command-line interface, and you get to preserve your menu structure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Using Shrink you can try EDIT-PREFERENCES- and from the pulldown you have three options: DVD-5(4.7gb), DVD-9 (8.5 gb) or Custom which should let you specify any size. Hope this helps.
Yeah, I didn't think about it before I posted on that.

bob1029 said:
Another possibility would be to decrypt your dvd to an iso image as mentioned before, then use daemon tools to mount it for playback. DTools allows for simple command-line interface, and you get to preserve your menu structure.
Hopefully, there won't be any menu structure to deal with!

Just an update... I've done some testing with this, and the method I like is decrypting them to raw DVD files into a directory for each DVD, and then passing the .IFO file into WMP's URL programatically, and it chugs right along playing. Where I was running into issues at before was in the codecs being free/trials... Nothing played! :teeth:

As for now, the plan is to store them (losslessly) on the server, with all menus, subtitles, and extra audio formats stripped in a folder for each DVD, and basically build a menuing application for them to play on something I write, or simply command line them into another player.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I took a slightly different approach from an HTPC, but I am archiving to an external USB drive so I have some experience in that area...

First one thing to note is if you buy an external USB drive, they are preformatted in FAT32. That ensures the highest compatibility with various computer systems. The downfall is there is a 4GIG file size limitation with FAT. You will need to do one of two things, either reformat to NTFS, or compress to 4GB in size IF you are using one continuous VOB or file per movie. If you are using the individual VOBs and streaming from a play list, you should be fine with the drive as is.

I use Shrink. It is the easiest and so far the fastest that I personally have used. I admit I haven't used everything out there, but I have tested a few different programs.

[img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/wbassett/HTS/PS3MediaServerSetup/DVDShrink_DiscSettings.jpg[/img]

In Shrink you can select either 'Custom' or DVD-9. DVD-9 will give you the exact size of a dual layer standard definition DVD. No compression will take place with this setting. If you have a need for bigger disc space settings, then use custom.

I have a 320GB USB My Book that I am using to archive things too. It has worked out fantastic and I plan on setting up several drives with 'genre' themes. Right now the one I have is a 'Spy' genre and I have all 22 Bond flicks (There are 22 if you include Never Say Never), Season One of 24, The Bourne Identity, and Supremacy, Enemy of the State, True Lies, xXx, MI 1-3, and I still have 140GB free on the drive.

Video quality is DVD and upconverts to a very nice picture. Of course everything depends on how good the source was to begin with, but I am extremely happy with everything.

I personally really like this method of consolidating my DVD collection into easy to manage 'volumes'. Sometimes I get in a marathon mood and want to watch things continously and it's nice to be able to just click on what I want without ever having to get up to swap discs. I want to stress though... own the disc!

I haven't done anything in High Def. For those I just put the disc in. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The TV shows are the main thing I LOVE about having everything on a network... I want to be able to sit down and pull up Stargate season 1, and emerge 2 weeks later after the final episode of season 10 and say that I never had to change a DVD! :bigsmile:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts