Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my FBQ 2496 today and I am a bit confused. Got it set up ok, set levels etc. Ran REW selected filters and sent to the equaliser. The MIDI light flashed on the BFD. So far so good. I then reran REW and got exactly the same FR as before. Questions are

1. Does the FBQ automatically store the filters sent to it by REW?

2. If not what do you need to do after they have been sent?

3. If it has been stored, how do you ensure that the filters are activated and working?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I guess you're read the REW Help files Comms sections.

To check whether the new filters are stored, just examine the filters from the FBQ front panel to see if they're stored. Read the FBQ manual on how to do that.

brucek

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, wasnt sending to FBQ in REW! that problem solved. Mama mia...REW and BFD is one step forward two back!

Heres how I am looking now, just sub reading...how am i looking?

good looking sub.jpg

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
how am i looking?
Looks fine. Now you should take a reading with the mains added to see how the crossover area looks. No need to change anything in the measurement - just turn on the mains and measure the same as you did with the sub alone.

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,288 Posts
OK, wasnt sending to FBQ in REW! that problem solved. Mama mia...REW and BFD is one step forward two back!

Heres how I am looking now, just sub reading...how am i looking?

View attachment 17633
Anytime I see a graph that pretty, I suspect that someone went overboard with the equalization. How many filters did it take to do this?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anytime I see a graph that pretty, I suspect that someone went overboard with the equalization. How many filters did it take to do this?

Regards,
Wayne
I didnt use too many filters. I read your post and raised the target curve so that only 3 or 4 filters were used. anyway, I dont know what I did last night but I lost that!

Started to redo this morning and this is were I am.

sat 5 dec 1.30.jpg

This is using 5 filters.

When I reconnected the mains to check the cross over:huh: I get a lot of buzzing through them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The buzzing must just be a ground loop caused by hooking a soundcard from your computer up with your receiver. I recently bought a ground loop eliminator from RS for about $25 and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I recently bought a ground loop eliminator from RS for about $25 and it solved the problem.
If it's a line level variety you would have to compensate for its response inadequacies by including it in your soundcard calibration.

brucek

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Disconnected all the appliances in my set up and it turned out to be the PS3 and the power supply to the laptop. Anway no buzzing now and after a bit of work this is my subwoofer frequency response and sub/mains response.

subwoofer 19-12-09.jpg

all speakers 19-12-09.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having achieved the REW graph above, I promply sold my B&W PV1 sub the very next day. Ive just taken delivery of a BK XXLS400 (http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400.htm)

Havent done much work on it yet but with bypassing the BFD I get this response.

no eq.jpg

By adding the BFD with REW filters achieves this

eq.jpg

There is an obvious improvement in the graph. I havent done any testing yet to see if I can hear any signficant improvment. Question is, is the first graph reasonable enough to not need the BFD?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just one further question, by using REW and the BFD to boost the low end, can I damage the speaker?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont really push the sub too much. Being an attic conversion with bedrooms below, most of the time I play at relatively low volumes. Even at a weekend daytime, because my cinema room is small (4m x 4m) i dont need to play at very high volumes to benefit. I think I get a degree of room gain. I would like to test the speaker out. It gets great reviews over here and certainly appears to be a lot more capable than the my previous PV1 (the test signals from my avr rattled the fixings one of my rear speakers!). What I would like to know, is there a safe level to boost the lower end to get those sofa shaking moments in movies. For music this sub is amazing so im happy enough with the higher end.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive achieved the following curve with five filters which I manually selected. I have a small peak around 42Hz which I cannot get rid off. Am I worrying about nothing?

my house curve.jpg

my house curve waterfall.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,288 Posts

Not sure what's up with the 42 Hz bump, but all your equalized graphs have looked fine.

What I would like to know, is there a safe level to boost the lower end to get those sofa shaking moments in movies.
As long as you don’t over drive (bottom out) the driver, you’re fine. It’s easy enough to tell when that happens, it makes all kinds of rude noises. If that happens, either reduce the volume or the amount of boost.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 20 of 21 Posts