Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has bought the new STS speakers from SVS. They look amazing and I was curious as to what you thought. Any input would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
They do look really nice, I am surprised that they only go down to 60Hz given they have three 6" drivers. I do not think they are shipping yet as there site says that you can only pre order them. Once again SVS has a quality product coming out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They don't go down all that low because they are sealed boxes. Most speakers these days, like the MTS series, get their lower extension by using a ported design. Lets you go much lower with the same size drivers/box.

Now sure why the S series are all sealed designs, perhaps for simplicity (it does require more work to design a good ported speaker). Regardless, it means less extension with a given size of driver.

As to the original poster, no, sorry, I have M-series SVS speakers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Its not really necessary to go lower if your using a sub anyhow so defiantly worth a look if thats the route a person is going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to purchase them when I finally move in and get my basement finished. Of course that won't be for about 4 months from now. So hopefully someone else will get them and tell us all about 'em when they get the chance. I've only read one review on them and he gave them a great rating. I'm sure they'll be good considering it's SVS making them as well.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello Keith, Welcome to the Shack

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
They don't go down all that low because they are sealed boxes. Most speakers these days, like the MTS series, get their lower extension by using a ported design. Lets you go much lower with the same size drivers/box.

Now sure why the S series are all sealed designs, perhaps for simplicity (it does require more work to design a good ported speaker). Regardless, it means less extension with a given size of driver.

As to the original poster, no, sorry, I have M-series SVS speakers.
Sealed designs are usually much better for mid-range application than ported. Porting is only suggested if you must extend your speakers.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I was looking for some reviews on these, too. I may bite the bullet and order a set.
Make sure you keep us posted on events then w8liftr, you could be one of the first to on post an end user review on here :T, and I would find that interesting for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey guys,

my STS-01's are being delivered tomorrow. I will make sure to post a review as soon as i get them hooked up.

i dont have access to all the testing equipment, but can certainly give my opinion.

stay tuned!

-Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts