Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up? I'm Spencer a Industrial Technology studying, replica sports car building, auto crossing, mountain biking, dirt bike riding, nutcase of a college student. I'm 21 and already have tinnitus from some of those various ventures and in my next quest to cause more damage to my hearing I've moved into the home theater world.

My uncle got me into home theater systems back in the early 90's with his NEC MT810 (which i late got) and early Pioneer surround sound system. I eventually got a modest sound system together using Infinity cabinets with the drivers replaced with random off the shelf parts which were great for my uses.

When I turned 18 my parents bought me a pair of Klipsch KG5.2's (I bet they regretted that...) followed by my uncle giving me his Hitachi PJ-TX100 which was suffering from dust contamination. That was the start of my first "real" setup. I sold the projector to pay for some car parts because I got serious about racing but now that I'm focusing on school there really isn't much of a racing budget let alone time for it.

So here we are today; My girlfriend and I just signed a lease together with some friends in a decent sized house so I'm wanting to start playing with home theater stuff on a budget. Over the past year I've acquired some modest gear but here's where I'm at.

Sony STR-DE485 Reciever
Sony DVP-NS200 DVD player
Klipsch KG5.2's
Sony 5.5" 2way rear channels
DIY'd center channel from $3 Goodwill speaker box and random drivers I had lying around (actually sounds good)
No Sub but being in an apartment the KG's produce more than enough low end

For media processing,
HP DV5-1200se, Windows 7 64 bit, 4gb ram, 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, w/Intel Chipset 4 family (gets the job done but graphics card could be better, still smokes any sub $1500 laptop I've played with)
CoolGear eSata rack with 5 hot swap hard drive bays picked up for $30 at a flea market, planning on removing a hot swap bay and installing a Sata Bluray driver, will probably over the long run install 4 2TB drives set up in pairs with RAID for 4TB of stable media storage and my millions of autocad files and photos.
Want to get a wireless keyboard with integrated touch pad

Currently in the market for a reasonably priced TV. Looking for something in the 50" category with optical out and HDMI communication to connect to the DV5. May even go the projector route if I want to go big with the screen but I need a way to split off an optical audio signal from the HDMI if I go this route so I'll most likely get a LCD with integrated optical out. Have a 32" CRT Toshiba right now...

It's a great system as far as I'm concerned, and when I have the laptop integrated I'll have a fully integrated media center that I can take the core with me when traveling or going home for the weekend.

Anyways there's my intro to the site. More than willing to hear input but just remember that while I have some decent equipment for a student it was all acquired through family upgrading or very little cash. Aside from my laptop, the TV will be by far the most expensive part of the setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add being apart of an internet powered generation, I don't really ever plan on having a cable hookup. Since I've been in college I've learned that between all of the online media outlets, Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, Spotify, *cough* IRC *cough*, and a fast internet connection, all of my needs are covered except for stuff like the Superbowl where I don't want my rowdy drunk buddies over anyways so I'll watch it else where.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Welcome to HTS, Spencer!

You've come to the right place, lots of info here.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HTS.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Wecome to the forum Spencer.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome to the Shack, Spencer! We all start from "humble" beginnings, but cheap prices doesn't necessarily mean cheap quality! Stick around and utilize the knowledge and info of our members and you will be able to upgrade and save!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Welcome to the Shack, Spencer! We all start from "humble" beginnings, but cheap prices doesn't necessarily mean cheap quality! Stick around and utilize the knowledge and info of our members and you will be able to upgrade and save!
+1 on that. Even Stereophile states that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get good sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts