Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings, I am trying to decide on a DIY sub setup for music-only listening and to compliment a pair of floorstanding Energy CF-70 speakers (which they say goes down to 35Hz but seems a little weak and muddy to me on that end). The music listened to is mostly jazz and techno, so I need the low end to be both balanced and strong in the midbass region.

I would like to keep the budget around $600 for each sub (if 2), my room is about 2000 cu. ft. but I only sit about 7' away from my speakers. Listening levels are moderate but i would turn it up every once in a while on a good track :)

So what would you guys recommend? 1 sub or 2? Down firing or front? Aluminum cone or paper?

So far I've gravitated towards the direct servo drivers which seem highly regarded for musicality (GR Research SW-12 and Rythmik DS1200) but can't decide which would be better for me. Does anyone have any input on these or any other suggestions for my setup? Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'll be quite honest Matt, I was in a similar situation about a year ago. My choice was a pair of Peerless XXLS12's each in their own enclosure. They sound beautiful, simply stunning. Very sweet and accurate and no coloration that I can notice. I've got mine in a pair of sealed enclosures that do quite nicely as end tables. Here are a few pictures of what I've got in my room. I'd vote for front firing IMO. No real reason to not point the cone where you'd want the sound to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice build! I was going to do something very similar for WAF.

I'd vote for front firing IMO. No real reason to not point the cone where you'd want the sound to go.
Is this assuming the subs are in front facing towards you? Most likely I will need to try and find placement either to the side or behind of my listening position, so I am somewhat concerned about localization.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice build! I was going to do something very similar for WAF.

Is this assuming the subs are in front facing towards you? Most likely I will need to try and find placement either to the side or behind of my listening position, so I am somewhat concerned about localization.
Mine fire straight forward at the TV. It'd odd kinda. Strangely, the bass seems to come from the front of the room when I'm listening to music. It stages very very well. As long as you're playing below 80hz you shouldn't have much localization regardless of placement anyways. The "aiming" of a LF driver should be pretty low on the priority list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts