Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....we are building a new home with a dedicated media room (20' * 15' * 10'). I have Klipsch Cornwalls for the fronts, Klipsch KG4s for the rears and a Klipsch KSF-C5 for the center. Also have a pair of Klipsch Heresy's to use if needed. Have an old Definitive Technology Powerfield 12" subwoofer which works well but don't know how it matches up with the Klipsch loudspeakers. I am thinking about a Fitzmaurice THT lowboy sub with a 15" driver and a 300 watt plate amp. What you you think about this? Other subs to consider??? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum:wave:

If you have the room for a THT then build one. They are great subs. There are many other options out there. Sealed, ported tapped horn, transmission line and front loaded horns. So any type of horn would be great for filling a large space if you have the room. I have a similar size room and ported can work also. BUT its a matter of budget also.

For the money I think the THT is a great sub. For more money but less space I would go with a large ported sub and an 18".

BUT first what are your wants out of a sub? What is your space constraints and what is your budget?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey...thanks for the greeting.
The sub will need to fit inside cabinetry and the space is something on the order of 36" tall * 24" deep * 96" long.....there is some flexibility on the tall and length dimension. The Cornwalls and KSF-C5 are also inside the cabinetry. I am aware that sub placement is sensitive but this cabinetry configuration is what we have in our building plans. I mainly listen to classic rock but do enjoy a rockin movie from time to time. For starters lets assume a budget of ~$500 which is about what the THT would cost me. I am OK with well maintained used stuff which can be an economical way to fly. Currently the new house is eating me up financially but it is lots of fun!

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
There are quite a few horned subs out there with those dimensions. They can use the Alpine 15SWS and then you just need a Inuke 3000DSP or even a 1000DSP. Just depends on design. Even in those designs the THT pair could fit. Alpine 15 can be had for any where from 99-150 I believe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts