Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sub box build - Attn all acoustically gifted

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Exocer 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm building my sub box this weekend and will probably join two 16mm MDF sheets together to make one 32mm thick sheet. I was wondering if this is alright to do and how it will affect the sound.

Thanks
Dan

#2 ·
Re: Sun box build - Attn all acoustically gifted

I would think if you just used some liquid nails and maybe even some real nails (finishing nailer) just to provide some shear strength it would be fine.

Would the whole thing be made up of joined together pieces or just the front?

#3 ·

I was just going to use PVC glue. There will probably be some nails/screws in it where the sheets join. I'm making the whole thing out of joined up sheets, unfortunately when I went to the hardware store they only had 16mm thick stuff. Hmm just noticed that I can't spell Sub :)

#4 ·

I've used PVA glue in the past for front panels, IB boxes etc without any trouble.

You can use a flat peice of scrap as a spreader to make sure both surfaces are completely covered without using a ton of glue.

Screws are optional - a couple of clamps to hold the two peices in alignment and then plenty of house bricks for weight will do the trick!

#5 ·
Joining the two together should be fine. Its important to remember not to use a glue that expands as it dries.Regular ol' elmers wood glue is known for its non-expanding method of drying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.