Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys doing a basic 4 cube box for a SI HT18 and want to see what everyone does for tips and tricks when building their boxes. So let me start of with, I like to use fiberglass resin on the inside of the box at the joints for a 100% seal and joint re-enforcement.
What do you guys do?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ideally I cut, screw and glue the top, side and bottom together. I usually cut my top and bottom slightly wider and glue/screw them over the side. I then use a router with a flush trim bit to make them perfectly flush. I do the same for the rear panel and the baffle. I brace a lot and use some silicone or other stuff similar to seal it. Wait a good 24-48 hour before installing the driver so the silicone fune don't attack the driver glue.

I adjust my saw table once and do all my same width cut to make sure they are all identical. Using a circular saw home made "track saw style guide" and a speed square I cut my lenght.

If you don't have a Jasper jig for circle just buy a piece of Polycarbonate from your local hardware store cutting center and make one out of it. Perfect circle every time.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Again, I do not claim to be an expert here, but I did study a bit about epoxy and resins in general for a project a few years back and read several places that it can make a significant difference. Conversely, curing time and strength can be lengthened and degraded in a cold environment.

They are pretty strong either way, it might not make a meaningful difference for this application. Just throwing the idea out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh defiantly not trying to negate what you are saying and I believe you as you have studied it way more than I lol.
Ok throwing this out, binding posts or speaker wire cups? In the car audio world you see a ton of people fitting with cups instead of using binding posts. So what is everyone's thoughts there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like to use fiberglass for installs in tight spaces in cars. It really lets you use the most of your airspace and tuck it in tight. It's a huge pain in the neck compared to a simple mdf box, but it looks so much better and saves a ton of cargo space.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what is everyone's thought about enclosure finishing? I might be doing a carbon fiber vinyl wrap for a coworker, but he also brought up using a veneer. Do veneers wrap over roundovers as well as vinyl does?

·
Registered
25 Posts
For enclosure constructioin , I always use a glue & screw approach;
the glue also acts as a first line of defence in sealing.
To seal the insides , I have used automotive 'sound deadening',
and concentrated the spray on the inner corner joints.
Finally , 'T' nuts make sure that you speaker mounting hole never get
stripped - out.
Then cover the box with various materials depending on usage.
I have rolled on DuraLiner for DJ cabinets because it is tough.
Some wood vaneers have a hot - melt glue backing that covers screws
good; They don't want to bend around too sharp , or small radius.
From my experience making DJ cabinets , I have become a big fan
of Peavey's binding cups -- used with either Neutrik or
Switchcraft connectors ; also G&H make nice 1/4 inch speaker cable
connectors -- the black housing with gold plated connections are
very nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts