Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I posted this in the right place...

Anyway, I recently purchased (on craiglist)
2 700 Watt Audio Systems 12" Subwoofers
1 1000 Watt Crunch 2 channel amplifier

I plan to hook them up in my elcamino to go w/ my 5 1/2" speakers
off of my Kenwood KDC-X492 deck

I think I know how to wire it....

The guy gave me some various wire sizes
which connections require the heavier wire?

My real question though is I have a limited space to fit the subs behind the seat and I need to build a box. Let me know if you have any ideas.
I will upload pics in a couple hours.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do you have any T/S specs for the subs? That would help to find out what size box you need.

Do you know how to wire the amp correctly or are you asking about wiring the kenwood?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure if you are still around but I have done a few car audio installs.

You run a heavy gauge wire (i like 4 gauge as it can still be hidden easily in trim panels) off of the positive battery terminal (DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING) and run it through the firewall into the cabin, there is usually a hole for other wiring or the easiest way is to drill a hole and grommit it with grommits from a hardware store. Attach an inline fuse near the battery on that 4 gauge wire. After it is run through ( I like the passenger side because there is less wiring there so it makes it simpler), the wire is passed through the cabin. I usually run it through the side trim panels near the doors all the way to the back. This is the positive power wire for your amp. The negative wire should be of the same guage as the positive wire. Drill a hole and attach a bolt into the metal of the car near where you will put the amp, then attach the wire to the bolt so that the negative wire is grounded.

RCA's are run off the head unit and I run them on the left side of the car as you want these farther away from the power wire. Hide these in the trim panels like you did the power wire. You want to run a turn on wire as well. There is a wire that sends a low powered signal when the head unit is on and this turns on the amp. This wire is located on the head unit's wiring harness. Run a wire (i usually use a piece of scrap speaker wire) along side the RCA's to the rear. Now hook up the amp. Power wire goes to Power wire terminal, Negative to negative terminal. Remote turn on to remote on terminal. RCA's to the RCA terminals.

For two 12's I would say a minimum of a 3 cubic foot box. Use 3/4" mdf and make sure it will fit in the space you require. I would fire them upwards in an el camino. With that amp, I would bridge it to 4 ohm.

Set gain's on the amp using a multimeter, typically take amp's rated RMS wattage output (if its truly 1000 watts RMS).
With the 1000 rms watts multiply this by the rated resistance (probably 4 ohm) that your sub's require and take the square root. Unhook speakers from the amp so there are just two wires from the bridged connection. Set multimeter to dc voltage. Electrical tape the multimeter's leads to the positive and negative wires off of amp's speaker terminals (the bridged connection that would normally go into your sub box). Hook the battery up. Turn on car. Put a test track into the cd player with a 50 hz test tone (just search google for test tones). Set the volume on the head unit to the maximum that you would ever listen to. Play the disk, then look at your multimeter. Square root of 4000 is 63 volts. Turn gain knob on the amp up to 63 volts then back it off to maybe 60 volts just to be sure. Don't mess with the gain knob again.
Turn off car. Hook up subs, put in your favorite music track and test to see if it sounds good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts