Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Obviously this is not a precise representation. :eek:

Comments on this bracing idea? The shapes, amount, etc. of bracing - not the wood type.

16 Dowels
The large brace in the center
Corner pieces
1.5" MDF for the box.

2 passives, 1 sub, 1 plate amp = 4 sides are taken.
Front (sub) removed so you can see inside.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I agree with PBC, 16 dowels is over kill. 8 larger dowels would be better and all that's needed IMO.

Looks good though, what drivers and amp are you using?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've used dowels in bracing a subwoofer cabinet, and it was too much work IMHO. Cutting the dowels to the right size, creating a hole with a forstner bit, glue up, etc... was too much work for me.

For your MDF, are you using 1.5 or two .75 pieces of MDF glued together? You can build a box out of .75 MDF, brace it with allthread, nuts and washers and then put a .75 sheet of MDF over it to conceal the washers and bolts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2x .75"
Would you mind explaining what you mean with nuts and washers?

Thanks.

I've used dowels in bracing a subwoofer cabinet, and it was too much work IMHO. Cutting the dowels to the right size, creating a hole with a forstner bit, glue up, etc... was too much work for me.

For your MDF, are you using 1.5 or two .75 pieces of MDF glued together? You can build a box out of .75 MDF, brace it with allthread, nuts and washers and then put a .75 sheet of MDF over it to conceal the washers and bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.