Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So :neener:, so I have a huge space and need a new subwoofer. Apparently 2 Rythmic RV12R would do the trick but that's $1100 open box and they are pretty big. I'm afraid WAF is going to be an issue here. :dontknow:

Given the WAF & cost, does anyone have any magical solutions for this large area at say $600 DIY? (I do have access to power tools and an expert cabinet maker :ponder:...)

My old sub: Velodyne VA-1012x. It produced plenty of bass for me and rattled the house pretty good so I'm not really sure I need two monster 12" subs. I do like tight clean bass for music and some deep rumble for movies.

Any :help: would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
If you are happy with a 12" for your room already then a pair of 12's would be all you need. I would suggest a pair of 18's for that size room for any real effective bass reproduction. BUT this will probably push you past budget by about 150 or so.

SO if you want to stick with a 12" then buy a pair and port them around 20hz. Did you mean to say the LV12R?

The LVR sub is about 3cuft. If only needing 12's for your liking of SPL bass then it should not be to hard to stay under 600.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Yes LV12R. I could swing an extra 150 if it makes a noticable difference. Could you recommend where to get b0x plans and which drivers and amps you would recommend...as well as a good source by chance? Could you come over and build them for me too? :rofl2: Hahaha Just kidding! I know i"m already asking A LOT!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have an old '97 Velodyne VA-1012x. I wonder if it would be worth a new amp and replacing the front 10" driver with a 12" and replacing the 12" passive radiator (once it falls apart, if I could find one?). The foam surrounds for both look really good, but I doubt they will last much longer with a new amp...being 16yrs old.:huh:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The Velodyne VA-1012x isn't worth it in my opinion. The money would be best spent on something new.

Your requirements ate tight clean bass for music and some deep rumble for movies and a small box. I'm thinking a pair of Stereo Integrity 15D2's, each in a 19" cube and powered by a iNuke 3000. The amp would need a fan mod to make it quieter and we have a thread on that. This setup would put you in the $700 range.

Yellow is the output of one sub in a 19" cube, green is the combined output of 2 subs.

sid2.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! Thanks! :clap: So where would I find the plans to build this? I'm assuming ported? Or just a 19"x19x19 sealed box?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Why not build a sonotube sub. Keep it sealed but the nice thing is no need to brace it and less tools needed.

I am thinking about building a pair of them soon using Suns I have already. You could wrap them in something nice and it will do what you need. Just a thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the ideas! The Sono tube sub is very interesting. Looking at the link Wooderson posted, I see they have 3 cu ft boxes for 15" woofers (sweet!). Although I do really appreciate the info and ideas, I think I'm going to stay with the 15" solution that Mike P. suggested (mostly due to WAF), and get that box and the components recommended.

The only issue I have is how and where to put the iNUKE 3000 watt amp? It looks like a rack mount vs a plate. I guess I'd have to make a separate box for it. Best price I've found on that is $299, SI HT D2 is $224 shipped, box is $127.56 shipped, So I'm at $650 for 1 sub.

I'm guessing this build would smoke this? ($419 shipped):
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1825&sc=28

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did indicate that I have access to an expert cabinet maker, but he's busy helping another friend with a project now so it will be mid-Sept. until he's available. And I saw the 3.0 cu ft cab for $90 at DIY Sound Group, which looked great until the shipping calc'd at >$54. Shipping on the SI HT15 D2 is also >$50.

So is there anything I could do to cut costs other than make my own box? What about a 500 Watt BASH plate amp? Lower cost driver? I was hoping to stay in the $350-400 range for 1 very good 15" sub vs $650 for a killer sub...:scratch: but it's looking like that's not really possible.:huh:

·
Registered
315 Posts
PartsExpress will give you 50% off their enclosures if you buy with a sub. Check some prices on a 15" UltiMax + enclosure. Yep, these things are heavy and expensive to ship. Such is life. Maybe mow some neighborhood lawns on the weekend :rofl:.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip(s)! I'll check out PE. And yeah not gonna happen...but funny! Real funny... :foottap: :rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts