Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a 5 cu ft vented cabinet for an RSS390HF With a 4" x 12" port. Box tuning is 21.5 Hz with an F3 of 23. The lowest it will go 30 Hz. Come to find out that sometimes WinISD looks good on paper but not in reality. So, I figured I have the box I should just replace the woofer with something that will give an F3 in the low twenties. I'm looking for recommendations. The port is removable. Tommy D

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Is that the 15" HF driver? If so that is a small box for that driver and with a 21hz tuning the response will be rolling off at 30hz. Also the single 4" port will likely get overloaded by that driver easily. What is the amplifier used? It may have an ssf engaged.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is the Dayton 15". I did have another sub in the same corner with good results. I did a near field in the center of the room and it started rolling off at 30HZ. It is powered by a Dayton HPSA 500. I did try boosting the low end and that didn't help. Tommy D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried the amp on another speaker (Peerless XLS12 w/ passive radiator) and it went down past 25HZ. I have had others say that the cabinet is too small. A bigger cabinet would be hard to meet the WAF. So, an IB could pass the WAF if the RSS390 can be used. That would save $$$. But, I'm not going to rule out another speaker. I'd rather just get another speaker. Less work. Tommy D

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
IXL15 maybe? I don't know. Even though the Dayton is rolling off at about 30hz it should still have some output down to 20hz.:dontknow:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Internal dimensions are 21"x21"x21". 5.3 cu ft. So, I figure 5 cubes with port and speaker the amp is external. I'll do another measurement tonight if I have time and post it. Tommy D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts