Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just noticed my sub volume is very low. I checked the speakers to make sure they were not on full band and they are ok at 80hz. The sub is not working at all( very low) the bass is coming from the speakers.
I checked the cable and the sub is on.
Help please!!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Have you tested another sub on that same output?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I even checked the fuse and changed the cable and nothing.
I hope the driver didn't give. No abuse here though.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pull the driver out and check those connections. I've seen the female connectors come off before.
Thank you! I will look into it as a last resort. Ken gave me ideas to test the sub which I'll do later this evening. He thinks it's not the driver since it hums when the RCA cable is reconnected.
I got some homework!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Thank you! I will look into it as a last resort. Ken gave me ideas to test the sub which I'll do later this evening. He thinks it's not the driver since it hums when the RCA cable is reconnected. I got some homework!
hmmmmm. That IS interesting. (Pun intended) lol
Kidding aside, that's a bummer.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Haha! I'm also going to see if I can find someone with an avr to test the sub output. Could be that mine went bad.
if you have a mini jack to RCA you should be able to hook it to the sub in with a phone or MP3 player or something. Or even a pre out from the AVR. That might help determine if the input is bad. Thinking of what to hook up(besides a sub) to the sub out...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, hook the sub up to one of the receivers pre outs other than the sub and you should get some sound if not then maybe the amp went bad in the sub?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes, hook the sub up to one of the receivers pre outs other than the sub and you should get some sound if not then maybe the amp went bad in the sub?
I just did Kens suggestion.
I unhooked the sub from the avr sub output and connected it to the center output on the avr and then disconnected the center channel speaker and all I get is a quick hum only at contact with the output. There is no sound from the sub.
Even when material is playing the sub turns of because there is no bass going to it.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you have a mini jack to RCA you should be able to hook it to the sub in with a phone or MP3 player or something. Or even a pre out from the AVR. That might help determine if the input is bad. Thinking of what to hook up(besides a sub) to the sub out...
I plugged the mini to rca using a cell and using youtube. Nothing happened other than a quick pop at driver then silent.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So what's Ken say?
He mentioned to set the bass level all the way up and turn on the low pass filter. To disconnect the sub cable from avr output and place it on the avr center output. Also disconnect the center channel. He suggested I get an RCA to XLR cable which I need to order. I even tried what you said with the mini rca jack and nada.
If XLR does not work then I'm sure he'll give me repair instructions.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Well at least it will be fixed, good news on that front.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes indeed. Goin sans sub is painful. Hopefully it's quick.
I bought a Def Tech sub for NOW just to get by until the company is able to give me an answer on the KK repair. Not Kens fault I'm talking about the amp co.
The Def Tech is 10in with a response of 18hz.
I'm sure it won't have the muscle especially in a room over 4800cf but better than no sub.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts