Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking for a new sub-woofer to replace my now defective ACI Titan which I built from a kit many years ago. I am looking for a music solution first and listen at low to moderate levels. My room is 12 x 20 and my mains are NHT Classic 3’s. I was thinking about these three:

PSA 15s
Rythmik 12 or 15 built from Kit
SVS SB-1000/2000

Form all my research I assume I cannot go wrong with either especially at the listening levels I generally use. I should also look at some of these of sealed Dayton kits folks are building over in the DIY forum but figured the Rythmik is a proven design should I go that route. Another sub I looked at was the NHT B12 (great reviews for music) but NHT is currently replacing that model and the new one will not be available until to latter in the year.

I really like the down firming design of the PSA 15s so I am leaning that way if I don’t build a Rythmik from kit where I can use the same design. Too bad Rythmik dropped their down firing production sub. I remember reading a comment from JMan where he indicated that the Rythmik may have a more relaxed mid-bass compared to the SVS or PSA. That may actually be similar to the ACI titan that I am accustomed so I am keeping that in mind as well.

Curious as to anyone thoughts.

Thanks Bob

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I would not concern yourself with the term "musical sub" as if the sub is built well it will do very good at music as well as movies. I do agree that a sub for music only will not need to dig as deep but that said there is no better design that a sub that can.
SVS subs are well known to deliver smooth even bass across the frequency range. I would not worry about the debate over down firing vs front firing as again if built right it matters not. Bass is non directional and you don't nessisaraly want the floor to transmit the bass.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed on both of your points. I only like the down firing design because of aesthetics, not because of perceived sound quality differences. Thanks

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
All good subwoofers for sure, but you might want to consider the Rythmik options first. Detail is in abundance, but perhaps the biggest thing would be the customizations possible with the various amplifier settings. Through those you can tailor the sound to be pretty much whatever you'd like it to be, and for critical music listening in particular that's quite advantageous.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Consider the HSU subwoofer also. ULS-15 MK2 is a great sealed sub that would be a stellar performer at music. I know my HSU does great but the ULS version is a smaller cabinet and higher midbass output.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd go the Rythmik route. If you decide not to build, the LV12r can be adjusted to suit your tastes.
For music I generally use one setting and for movies another. Imo, It is detailed and defined for music for sure.
Some of the Hsu offerings also allow you to tweak according to your requirements (music vs HT) although I don't believe they have any with the servo control.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
What about the RELs I have two Strata 5s and they are fantastic, and down firing though they don't make them anymore, cant comment on the others or other RELs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was actually looking at Rel this morning. I also noticed that PSA offers a bundle price for the anti-mode which may help with auto EQ but I don't believe you can customize the correction like you can with the Rythmiks.

Jim, do you think you will be getting a PSA 15s in for review soon?

Thanks -Bob

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Rels are known for good sounding subs. They are pricey though. HSU are known for good sounding subs but there are Rythmik, PSA and SVS are the other three that ring a bell.

I have heard some Rels before out of the above have only experience with my HSU and I find it to be adequate enough for my needs. Very seamless integration into my system and packs one of a punch.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
REL subs are over priced. I've heard one and was not impressed considering what it cost. You can get more bang for buck going with HSU, SVS, or some of the others mentioned.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Jim, do you think you will be getting a PSA 15s in for review soon?
Tom and I have actually been discussing another review, but it wouldn't be on any of the sealed units (I've already evaluated two of them). Thus far it seems as though the V1800 is the likely candidate. Until something ships I won't know for certain though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Rels are known for good sounding subs. They are pricey though. HSU are known for good sounding subs.
HSU has been around for a long time. I remember reading about those cylinders and folks raving over the deep bass. Also, nice HT build, you did a great job. BTW, do you miss your NHT's? I have the threes in the main room but have the zeros in a zone 2. -Bob

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
With my two RELs no EQ was required + go down to 9hz measured in my room, with careful placement.
9Hz, but at what level though? I would be surprised if a 21" driver could do that with appreciable output, and I know REL doesn't make anything even remotely that large.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
HSU has been around for a long time. I remember reading about those cylinders and folks raving over the deep bass. Also, nice HT build, you did a great job. BTW, do you miss your NHT's? I have the threes in the main room but have the zeros in a zone 2. -Bob
I have my NHT... two are being used in my office for my wife hooked up to a cheap $250 denon with airplay. The other three are going in my living room as a center/l/r setup for my main TV w/ my x4000 that I don't use anymore.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Tom and I have actually been discussing another review, but it wouldn't be on any of the sealed units (I've already evaluated two of them). Thus far it seems as though the V1800 is the likely candidate. Until something ships I won't know for certain though.
Hopefully a v3600i or a T-18 HT! One can dream right

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
9Hz, but at what level though? I would be surprised if a 21" driver could do that with appreciable output, and I know REL doesn't make anything even remotely that large.
Yep down to 9hz they were measured at 80db.
This was with careful placement and calibrated

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm not a fan of REL. They make really nice looking cabinets for their subs but I find their price/performance ratio very lacking. They are very peaky in their response and generally do not dig very deep.

·
Registered
356 Posts
For music, Rythmik would be a great choice. The servo technology greatly reduces distortion and they are very nuanced and detailed as well as being "fast" and responsive. Rythmik is also a great company in terms of their customer service.

bob_m said:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts