Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some pictures of the sub woofer I made. I don't know how much use they will be to anyone, but maybe some.

Well, I give up! After an hour the files are not loaded. And I made sure that the files were small.

Ron

·
Registered
790 Posts
Here's some pictures of the sub woofer I made. I don't know how much use they will be to anyone, but maybe some.

Well, I give up! After an hour the files are not loaded. And I made sure that the files were small.

Ron
That's a pain and I'm sorry it's not working for you. I'm always interested in seeing other people's projects as they often add inspiration or I get tips/ideas for my own.

Have you thought about using one of the free hosting services like Photobucket, ImageShack or Picasa? I use the first two and load images there, and then copy/paste the IMG code the sites provide here, and voila, pics in post.

If you us the 'direct' code from any of these sites, click on the Image link as shown in the attachment below. A small popup will appear and copy/paste the URL of the image into it.

If you use the 'Image' code provided, then simply copy/paste the whole lot including the IMG /IMG tags into the reply box. Preview the post, and post when you're happy. A tip is to look at the URL and if there is a .th near the end then that is the thumbnail of the image. Delete those characters to have it display full size.

If I can help more, please ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first picture shows the bottom and sides of the plywood skeleton being glued. The second shows the bracing system with a defusing deflector . The size of the box is 48" x 24" x 14". There was another picture of the interior but at 204 kb it did not upload. 200 kb is just too small!

Ron

Wood Metal

Wood Metal

Room Wood Cuisine

Audio equipment Furniture Room Loudspeaker Electronics

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice sub. What make and model is the driver and what's the cabinet volume and tuning frequency?
The driver is just a Dayton SD 315-8-8 (12inch). Volume: about 7.5 cubic feet. I think I settled on 25HZ for tuning frequency. I don't know if my "primary deflector" actually does anything, but I thought it might bounce the air around and reduce cabinet resonance. I don't have any fancy test equipment to really know what is going on inside.

Ron

·
Registered
790 Posts
I like the look of your sub. My first thought was 'blanket box'. Whilst some guys might take that as a put down (actually the opposite), I meant that it looks like a piece of furniture and doesn't scream "I'M A BIG HONKIN' SUBWOOFER" and most people probably wouldn't notice it for what it was and just wonder where all the bass is coming from.

I'm taking note of builds like yours in terms of aesthetics at the moment to try to make my new designs look less like just boxes and blend them in to the decor more.

I don't know if my "primary deflector" actually does anything, but I thought it might bounce the air around and reduce cabinet resonance.
Acoustically, no, but it adds bracing to the box which is always a good thing.
I don't have any fancy test equipment to really know what is going on inside.

Ron
It doesn't take much to have an excellent measuring rig. A decent soundcard, a calibrated mic (<$60 from PE), a preamp and a couple of cables and odds and sods and free software like REW and HOLMImpulse and you can have a fantastically capable measuring rig. More than a one time builder might want, but it doesn't take a lot if you're interested in making more down the line.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thats a great look for a sub!
I'm surprised that you dont have issues having the CRT TV on the box, does it not bend the picture because of the magnet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a great look for a sub!
I'm surprised that you dont have issues having the CRT TV on the box, does it not bend the picture because of the magnet?
Yes, the sub does effect the CTR a little in the lower left corner. Some day, when I'm rich and famous, I'll get something better.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Very cool. What kind of levels are you achieving from it? Also, you need a 55 inch LCD on there. Can't have an old TV on a sweet sub.
It IS cool. I think the classic grill makes all the difference in the perception of its purpose.

This is a music oriented sub rather than HT, with the higher tune; and judging by the decor (beautiful piano) you're a musician or a family member is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.