Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12" Audiobahn aw1251t (400w) dual voice coil sub I am looking at using for my home theater setup which will also double as a 'party' system if you want to call it that. The sub is brand new but I know its definitely not quality, it will just have to do though.

I have a 3/4mdf single 12" box left over from my old 330i, and when I moved to my A4 the factory bose was decent enough for me not to want to add anything...so I have that to work with.

The box is fairly big, but the port is about 12x1.5" at the bottom of the box. I think this is definitely too big, what are thoughts on sealing the port up and putting in a smaller tube port? possibly two (one on each side).

I will have to cut a square piece out of the back of the box for the dayton plate amp I'll be buying sometime very soon...so i figured while I was doing that I might as well get whatever else I want to do at the same time.

I will post pictures of the box and sub here fairly soon.

Suggestions/Input would be wonderful.

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the sides are 16 inches long (deep)

the front (where the port is) is 17 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches

and the port is 11 1/2 x 2 1/4 inches
it goes 11 inches deep into the box itself....

hope this helps....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what if it were sealed....

i also have a sealed box for two 12" subs...i have a second identical sub.

i can post the dimensions of it also, but wouldn't two 12's be overkill?

I wouldn't see any benefits from using that sub+amp even in a room say 11'ish x 12'ish?
this is the layout of my bedroom if it helps at all....

(3rd floor, bottom...the one that appears to be larger in size - you might have to zoom into the picture to get a better look at it...)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't suppose you know the T/S parameters for that sub driver? That size box might squeek by as a sealed sub depending on the driver. If not, do you have the ability to build a new box?

Oh....and there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to subs.:demon:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just sold my rockford fosgate hx2...but the whole thing was here is I am just trying to use what i've already got my hands on.

running both of the 12's in a sealed box with the correct dimensions still wouldn't be very successful?

I will buy whatever amperage plate amp I need to run both of them...

(and yes i have the ability to build a new box, but i'd definitely prefer not to if at all possible)

thanks for the help

·
Registered
538 Posts
The problem is, car subs are generally not not made for a frequency response low enough for a home system. Cars have a lot of cabin gain which boosts the low end response from a car sub, but your bedroom won't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in all reality, this will mainly be used for music....

what is a decent plate amp I can buy to run this 12....

I also have an old sony 10" XS-L101P5 if that will work any better...it is pretty old so probably not, just checking out my options...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey thanks mike, thats the one i was thinking about buying....

ps- how'd you get those specs for that audiobahn sub?

curious if you could get them for that sony I listed too? if that sub would work any better....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the charts don't make all that much sense to me lol...

I can build a box, it isn't that big of a deal. I'd just rather already use what I have.

I don't need this to be insane or anything, I'll be using an 8" woofer in each tower to help with the bass...

can you suggest a box plan or dimensions that would be ideal for either sub? I have some mdf at home, I just don't have a table saw. I have a circular saw and a jig saw...so straight cuts are a little more difficult to make lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ps- thanks mike, you've been a big help.

I might as well start a build thread this weekend. I am going to cut mdf for my center channel and towers this weekend....

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I can build a box, it isn't that big of a deal. I'd just rather already use what I have.
If you want to use what you have, mount the 10 inch Sony sub in the box pictured in Post #2, seal up the vent and your done. That would be the yellow line in the graph in post #16.

If you want to build a box, make one with a net volume of 2 cu.ft. and tune it to 25 hz. That would be the green line in the graph in post #16.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks a bunch mike, if it isnt going to make that much difference i'll just mount it in the box I already have...

and I should run it with the parts express dayton SA240 right?

later on down the road I'll upgrade the sub to one actually intended for home audio use, I just want to get a base right now...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts