Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12" Audiobahn aw1251t (400w) dual voice coil sub I am looking at using for my home theater setup which will also double as a 'party' system if you want to call it that. The sub is brand new but I know its definitely not quality, it will just have to do though.

I have a 3/4mdf single 12" box left over from my old 330i, and when I moved to my A4 the factory bose was decent enough for me not to want to add anything...so I have that to work with.

The box is fairly big, but the port is about 12x1.5" at the bottom of the box. I think this is definitely too big, what are thoughts on sealing the port up and putting in a smaller tube port? possibly two (one on each side).

I will have to cut a square piece out of the back of the box for the dayton plate amp I'll be buying sometime very soon...so i figured while I was doing that I might as well get whatever else I want to do at the same time.

I will post pictures of the box and sub here fairly soon.

Suggestions/Input would be wonderful.

Thanks ahead of time!

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what if it were sealed....

i also have a sealed box for two 12" subs...i have a second identical sub.

i can post the dimensions of it also, but wouldn't two 12's be overkill?

I wouldn't see any benefits from using that sub+amp even in a room say 11'ish x 12'ish?
this is the layout of my bedroom if it helps at all....

(3rd floor, bottom...the one that appears to be larger in size - you might have to zoom into the picture to get a better look at it...)

· Registered
538 Posts
I don't suppose you know the T/S parameters for that sub driver? That size box might squeek by as a sealed sub depending on the driver. If not, do you have the ability to build a new box?

Oh....and there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to subs.:demon:

· Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I have the parameters for it. Used in the box above, green is ported, 150 watts input power and a HPF at 35 hz. Xmax reached at 32 hz. yellow is sealed, 150 watts input power Xmax is reached at 55 hz. The graph shows you what to expect. Personally, I'd sell it and get something else.

Green Line Slope Parallel Pattern

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just sold my rockford fosgate hx2...but the whole thing was here is I am just trying to use what i've already got my hands on.

running both of the 12's in a sealed box with the correct dimensions still wouldn't be very successful?

I will buy whatever amperage plate amp I need to run both of them...

(and yes i have the ability to build a new box, but i'd definitely prefer not to if at all possible)

thanks for the help

· Registered
538 Posts
The problem is, car subs are generally not not made for a frequency response low enough for a home system. Cars have a lot of cabin gain which boosts the low end response from a car sub, but your bedroom won't.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in all reality, this will mainly be used for music....

what is a decent plate amp I can buy to run this 12....

I also have an old sony 10" XS-L101P5 if that will work any better...it is pretty old so probably not, just checking out my options...

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey thanks mike, thats the one i was thinking about buying....

ps- how'd you get those specs for that audiobahn sub?

curious if you could get them for that sony I listed too? if that sub would work any better....

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the charts don't make all that much sense to me lol...

I can build a box, it isn't that big of a deal. I'd just rather already use what I have.

I don't need this to be insane or anything, I'll be using an 8" woofer in each tower to help with the bass...

can you suggest a box plan or dimensions that would be ideal for either sub? I have some mdf at home, I just don't have a table saw. I have a circular saw and a jig saw...so straight cuts are a little more difficult to make lol.

· Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I can build a box, it isn't that big of a deal. I'd just rather already use what I have.
If you want to use what you have, mount the 10 inch Sony sub in the box pictured in Post #2, seal up the vent and your done. That would be the yellow line in the graph in post #16.

If you want to build a box, make one with a net volume of 2 cu.ft. and tune it to 25 hz. That would be the green line in the graph in post #16.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks a bunch mike, if it isnt going to make that much difference i'll just mount it in the box I already have...

and I should run it with the parts express dayton SA240 right?

later on down the road I'll upgrade the sub to one actually intended for home audio use, I just want to get a base right now...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.