Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a subwoofer, matched to my studio monitors.
If I attempt to measure just the left and right,seperately...
Since the low end with crossover on sub @ 80hz, is constant level, while the left or right are playing alone....
this puts the sub at high level, and Studio monitors of course lower level
in the measurement.(about 6dB lower)
85dB was reference level calibrated in SPL meter..
See red trace of attached image.

Should I just bring the sub level down and match the sub too one of the left or right(just for test)?
This way the sub when measured, is more in-line with the studio monitor level.
I am creating filters for both left and right channels to plug into my eq for small
amount of correction.
What do you suggest?

EDIT: May have answered my own question.
Purple is the left and right averaged.
Blue is both L&R measured together.
Sub is same level.
Therefore, I believe I should match the sub to either the left or right(doesn't matter which)
this way correction filters in bass region will not be so exaggerated/aggressive.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I may not follow so just to confirm:

If your receiver/AVR is in stereo mode then:
> REW signal sent to left (or right) AVR input only should provide the house curve you are looking for.
> REW signal sent to both left and right inputs should provide the house curve you are looking for. In this case the level of the SW and the mains will both be +6 on the chart compared to the individual measurements. [Remember not EQ high frequencies in this mode as the HF is impacted negatively due to comb filtering between the 2 channels.]

If this was your finding then it is correct.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, should have mentioned it's in a home studio for mixing. Using 2 active studio monitors and an active subwoofer. Output from audio interface.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts