Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I was doing some reconfiguring of m,y theater room and after removing the audio credenza that I had all my AV gear on or in. It sure made the front of my room much cleaner looking. I decided to try placing my SVS PB13u in the centre under my screen (it was in the right corner) and was pleasantly surprised as to how much more even the bass seemed and it still seemed to have as much physical impact as it did before.
I have not run REW yet but I seem to think that its smoother.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I always corner them,but use dsp to level the cornergain/roomgain.
Depending on the room.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, it surprised me that it would be this way. The LFE seems to be much less focused and feels more natural.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The best would be indeed to test al the place,s you can put it.
And than use REW.

I had 1 of them in the middle of a long wall,it was terible.
The one on the longwall ,had to much midbass en cloud be localized.

Now i have them both in 1 corner,sound awesome.
Much more low output in the sweet spot/my chair,and playing whit more detail.

How a sub in a room sounds depends on:

1 the space, the dimensions and shape of the room.

2 what is in the state space (furniture, etc., but also eg bass traps: google: ie acoustic measures)

3 the position in space of the sub relative to the listening position.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not an easy sub to move around given its over 150lbs! I think I will leave it here for now till I run REW and see what it says compared to my last readings.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Maybe you can putt it on weel,s :D
No kidding i have seen members look for the best location for the sub.
The sub placed on a shelf with wheels.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I've heard impressive bass from placement like you have found, Tony, and REW measurements were used to determine that placement.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Tony - when I installed my new subs I tried multiple locations... Primarily based on the audioholics sub placement recommendations (and also a white paper on sub placement that I can't recall at the moment). At any rate, I found that my dual subs sounded the best (and REW showed this) placed more inward along my front wall (as opposed to corners)... Better than any of the recommended dual sub placements.

Head scratcher from the perspective that the most unconventional placement proved to be the best. But, every room and response are different, I guess.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think one thing I noticed is that even though your not supposed to "hear" where the sub is located I still found that I could tell it was in the corner. I run my crossover on all speakers at 70Hz except my mains that I run full range but with the Double bass setting on.
With it in the center of my mains I cant tell where it is.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
As others have said, corner placement will almost always provide the most gain. But, it "excites" more room modes and, therefore, may not provide the flattest freq response. Trial and error is the only way to know where the sub(s) will sound the best. Measuring with REW and a calibrated mic will help find the best spot.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
As others have said, corner placement will almost always provide the most gain. But, it "excites" more room modes and, therefore, may not provide the flattest freq response. Trial and error is the only way to know where the sub(s) will sound the best. Measuring with REW and a calibrated mic will help find the best spot.
How do you use REW ?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Have a look here
Thanks for the link but how will I know what the test results mean? I do not know a thing about graphics or how a response should be other than use an spl meter and do a sub crawl, find the flattest response is all I know.:scratch:

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I think one thing I noticed is that even though your not supposed to "hear" where the sub is located I still found that I could tell it was in the corner. I run my crossover on all speakers at 70Hz except my mains that I run full range but with the Double bass setting on.
With it in the center of my mains I cant tell where it is.
I to used to find that the case with a single sub in the corner or on side. I am a real proponent now of dual stereo subs with an active crossover as a result. I like the integration when it is set up right but it is harder to set up and limits your location options. In my room, flat to the wall is NOT the way to go. Angled in is better for reducing room resonant bumps around 50Hz and up, aimed at or close to the listing position seems best as it adds impact. LOTS of testing and listening/moving is the best way to find that “sweet spot.”

·
Registered
487 Posts
I like dual subs on the front wall Left-Sub1-Center-Sub2-Right. Audyssey XT32 balances everything nicely. I would recommend corner loading if you don't have enough sub and need the extra gain. I've never tried the "sub crawl" method, but I've heard that it is effective.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Does it matter how far away or close subs are to each other? I have one on the left corner of the front wall and the other on the left corner of the side wall. Approximately 5ft from each other.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Does it matter how far away or close subs are to each other? I have one on the left corner of the front wall and the other on the left corner of the side wall. Approximately 5ft from each other.
If you put them close together, additional output is available via co-location. Works best if both subs are the same model. Co-location "works" as long as the subs are within 1/4 wavelength or so of the lowest frequency they will produce. But, there is a tradeoff as always. Co-location means that you will not benefit from the freq response smoothing of having the subs in different parts of the room.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts