Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, well I'm not a total noob, but sometimes...lol well here goes...
After reading for awhile I'm concerned that I have built my current sub project too small for the tuning I have used, however a rep at JL audio said it would be fine. The driver is a jl audio 13w1v2-4 13.5"... Car specs are supposed to be 2.6cu.ft slot ported to 26hz, being that this is in a home and not a car (cabin gain vs. room gain if any differences) I modeled with winIsd and came up with a 3cu.ft (WAF considered enclosure) and tuned to 21 hz. Do you think that this is too small of an enclosure? I told the rep my plans and he said it should be "just fine", but after doing some reading I think I may experience some problems tuning this to 21hz in a 3cu net box, all bracing, porting, etc has been subtracted already...! Sorry for the long post, but some feedback would be appreciated!! Btw...amp is rated at 350wrms at 4ohms... P.s.s. Porting done already with 3" ABS times 2, 27" in length, routered flares and donuts (Collo style) on inside, and simple flare routered on outside...Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for checking into this with me, I can see the advantage of the larger enclosure, but WAF is the main reason I stayed with 3cu. I am wondering however if the enclosure will be too small for this tuning, meaning will it roll off so sharply that it will sound poor? I do however listen to music equally if not more so than movie use, so that is why I am willing to sacrifice a little low end. As far as the amp goes, I wish I could get MORE of them! It is a stealth acoustics amp that was only available to contractors and installers. Model pa-300. It has a gorgeous one piece heatsink that is elliptical in shape...I'll try to add another pic of the amp. In case anyone is wondering, the inside ports are routered with a roundover bit, and then an oval shaped piece of door threshold was trimmed and wrapped around, it has created a very smooth round entry in and out of the ports. The front ports I have made a routered piece to go over the holes that will also act as a flare, I'll get more pics up, the finish should look quite good with what I have planned. If anyone would like to chime in it would be appreciated, and again thanks in advance to my many questions!

One more question, I don't have the money for an active high pass filter, would an f-mod be acceptable?
The amp is rated at 350wrms at 4ohms, and was purchased new for $139 with shipping! It is the prettiest and beefiest amp I have used so far, think of an apex sr, with a solid heatsink.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Mike P, here are the finished pics you requested. They are also in another thread and on the image gallery, that is why I didn't put up more pics on this thread....

Here is the completed sub.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am very pleased with the sub. I'm glad that I stayed with the 3cu.ft design. It performs 60%music 40%movies, and I think that with the slightly smaller alignment it performs music duty as well as plays movies quite well, tis all about compromise right?!

My biggest worry was if two 3 inch ports were going to pose any problems in the below 30hz range, and to my glee, I have found they produce ZERO port chuffing!! The inside Collo style donuts that I made seem to be working! I took a hard rubber/vinyl door threshold and trimmed the edge lip off, then glued and wrapped it around the inside port outer edge along with routering the inside of the ports. The front port baffle is also routered. I know it's not much of a flare, but it seems to have been enough!

When playing some fave's like Matrix revolutions, this thing is awesome! It actually moves my couch in certain scenes (something I haven't been able to achieve till now), I could always hear how loud my subs have been, but this one I can feel and it is cleaner than anything I've made thus far. I found out when playing some sweeps that the amp does have a ssf built in, and I'm guessing it to be about 18hz, because 15hz and lower the driver hardly even moves which is what I wanted all along. From 20hz and up till about 60hz is where this sub seems to really shine!

Overall it's been a great and rewarding build. Thanks for everyones input, I am learning a lot since finding this forum!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sub looks great. All that counts is how it sounds to you. If it fits your needs then you should be very happy....:yay:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts