Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I was wondering how much bang for my buck vs time. Is it really worth doing a Rythmik DirectServo Powered Subwoofer Kit? Am I going to be able to make a better sub then Velodyne DPS-10 Subwoofer.

Keep in mind my wife is always saying, "turn it down!"

Basically, what should the sub sound like when Im done building it? Like a $1000 sub?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
for what you want to spend I suggest going with an SVS PB 12 NSD it plays down to 18Hz where the Velodyne only does 25Hz. At $599 you get far more bang for buck.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I own both the DPS-10 and the Rythmik Direct Servo 12" kit.

Comparing them both, I would say the Velodyne may have the output advantage around the tuning point (somewhere in the upper 30hz range). Other than that, the Rythmik is more linear through the frequency response and exhibits a much smoother integration with the mains due to it's linearity. The Rythmik is much more true to the original recording and draws little to no attention to itself (if it isn't calibrated extremely hot compared to the rest of your setup).

Overall, the Rythmik is a much better performer for someone who cares about sound quality and linearity. The Velodyne sounds one-notey in comparison.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own both the DPS-10 and the Rythmik Direct Servo 12" kit.

Comparing them both, I would say the Velodyne may have the output advantage around the tuning point (somewhere in the upper 30hz range). Other than that, the Rythmik is more linear through the frequency response and exhibits a much smoother integration with the mains due to it's linearity. The Rythmik is much more true to the original recording and draws little to no attention to itself (if it isn't calibrated extremely hot compared to the rest of your setup).

Overall, the Rythmik is a much better performer for someone who cares about sound quality and linearity. The Velodyne sounds one-notey in comparison.
Thank you some much for replying to this thread. You have no idea. A couple of questions.

Output advantage means it will shake the house more?

What does one notey mean?

What does linearity mean?

I think what you are saying is, I would have to tune (well any sub you have to tune) the Rythmik. But the Rythmik will come closer to the mallet hitting the bass drum right? I heard that has something to do with the mains.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for what you want to spend I suggest going with an SVS PB 12 NSD it plays down to 18Hz where the Velodyne only does 25Hz. At $599 you get far more bang for buck.
What about the Rythmik kit vs pb12?
I would expect them to sound the same since they would cost about the same. Plus if one of the components goes bad, I can replace it 8 years down the road. Unlike my HSU VTF-2 sub I'm SOL dew to my amp. I never ran that think hard either. Now I got a big box that I have to throw away. Unless someone has any ideas.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When it sounds like a 1k DIY sub your wife truly will not understand :hsd:.
Pretty much any decent 12" kit should kill the velodyne below 35-40hz. This is just a matter of cone area.

So yes, you can build a better sub for 500$ then the DPS-10 but it won't help you with the WAF :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts